The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 150 BB tank. The total volume is about 240 gallons and the tank is 3 months old. I REALLY want a leapord wrasse but understand that they can be a challenge. I would like to hear from any one who has one and how much care they take or what the challenges are with these fish. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
IME they need at least 4" of sand. They dive in and sleep in the sand every night. It's kinda cute to see them wake up, still kinda out of it with sand stuck to there forehead.

They will eat prepared food but will also hunt for pods and bristleworms in the tank. They also eat flat worms IME.

They are completely reef safe and not aggressive towards other inhabitants IME.

IMO it might be better to really let your tank mature until you have a large and steady population of pods for 6 months or more. I used a 30g refugium and had small piles of rubble rock in my display for pod growth.

Very pretty fish IME. We all love pics right?

·
11,345 Posts
Robert.........I just had to get rid of my leopard when I got rid of the sand in my last rebuild recently.

Yellow coris are no problem, they deal with it and find a new place to sleep.

Against some peoples statements I thought I could prove them wrong onthe leopard as soem say the same thing about yellows. I failed. I watched the fish not sleep for a week and beat the crap out of his nose into my starboard. he was exhausted and got caught in my cls intakes.

I gave him to a friend with sand and he healed back up in no time and is happy. Agree with pledosophy, they NEED a sandbed. Its too bad, I really liked the fish. He would let me pet him and would eat anything. I will continue to miss him.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well shoot. I guess Ill have to o a dsb in the 75 thats collecting dust in the garage. Maybe Ill make it a wrasse tank. Dang it, I was just about to settle into this tank and now a HAVE to build another.....

Thanks for the help everyone. I read up on them but was hoping against hope I could do it in a BB. Oh well, now I have to find a place in the house for the 75:bigeek::D:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Loved mine! Wish I had kept him when I downsized.

Got to have sand! As far as a top though, my opinion is that if any fish has a place to dive into, they will always go down if the option is there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I didn't run a DSB in the entire tank, just up on the back right corner, the fish was smart. ;) I read about a few people keeping sand in a container in the tank just so the wrasse could dive in, but never did it myself so no real opinion or advice on it other then I hear it can be done.

Nice fish Bill.

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
I didn't run a DSB in the entire tank, just up on the back right corner, the fish was smart. ;) I read about a few people keeping sand in a container in the tank just so the wrasse could dive in, but never did it myself so no real opinion or advice on it other then I hear it can be done.

Nice fish Bill.
heh, that is something i would have tried ... a true sandbed :rotflmao:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts