The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a perfecto 220 gal. reef ready tank,after i did all plumbing,live sand, live rock, and now tank is cycling i noticed a drip coming from the bulkhead threads on return side. it looks like an easy fix if i shut down the tank , drain overflow corner box , loosen bulkhead nut from underneath and if there is a special tool i can stick down the overfrow box ,into top of bulkhead that would turn bulkhead into the pvc female adpt. is there such a tool? tank is 30" high
how do i upload pictures so you can better understand? thank you

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The only tool I can think of but stil don't think it would give you more than a foot is a sink tool( probally not the real name if my brother the plumber was home I would ask him the name) but itS used to get the nuts under the sink that hold your faucet in but its a wrench that re head sits flat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can get to the nut that tightens the bulkhead to tank , the problems lays in that once i losen that nut and the bulk head is free to move the only way i see moving it is by inside the overflow box. if you are looking under the tank at the pvc adpt. and the male threads of the bulkhead thats where it is leaking and if i losen up the lock not on the bulkhead there is no room to put a wrench on the remaining threads to tighten the bulkhead into the pvc female adpt.

must be an easy solution

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I think I get what you are saying now. You are trying to put a female adapter over the threaded end of the bulkhead. First think I think I remember reading that a normal PVC fitting isn't the same size of the bulkhead. But if it is pretty close to fitting I would go buy some Teflon tape and tape the heck out of the threads. From what I remember is that you actually stick a piece of PVC into the female end of the bulkhead. But if you have a female adapter and some Teflon tape it should work

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The extreior threads on a bulkhead are not standard tapered pipe threads and are not intended for anything other than the locking nut. They are similar to a bolt thread with no taper so will never tighten up properly even if you can find something to start on the threads.
Always use the interior threads of the bulkhead or glue a slip fitting in the internal socket, not the exterior.

I have a Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky thread on many reef forums that goes in to much more detail on how to successfully install leak free bulkheads.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/equ...iscussion/34973-installing-bulkhead-tips.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/bulkhead-installation-tips-111422.html

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
AZ....just my luck to see your link again. I'm finally setting yp a new tank with several bulkheads to place in bottom. I knew the drill, but feel more comfortable about the clean, dry no lube, don't overtighten approach.
Thnx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts