The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me, I just set up a 75 gallon tank and now my bulkhead is leaking. I rotated it to a position that it wont leak, but should I seal it now with some silicon on the outside of the sump or what should I do, the tank is full of water and I woke up yesterday with about 2 gallons on my floor and my stand soaked. Please help fast

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the tank from someone else... should I put silicon around the outside of it to seal it or not? I dont have time to drain the tank and install a new one

·
Registered
838 Posts
Honestly putting silicone around the outside isn't fixing the issue it's only delaying it in my eyes. The cause of leaking bulkheads is usually over-tightening. They don't have to be that tight to get a good seal. Also check the area for chipout. If there is chipout then getting a good seal is almost impossible but do-able.

Honestly if you rotated it and it stopped leaking then it sounds like the problem is fixed

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does it have the proper seal? Hand tight is all you need. I've taken mine apart 10 times doing the plumbing. It leaked once because it wasn't tightened enough. But it only took a quarter turn to fix that problem.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Locate the leak and determine why it is leaking. Is it installed correctly, does it have a rough drilled hole, incorrect gasket placement, poorly glued fitting, bad threaded joint, installed too tightly or to loose, does it have weight hanging on it etc. It is all discussed in the threads.

Silicone does not fix anything as I talk about in the threads. Take the time to fix it right and you will be much happier, even if it requires draining which is easier now than in a year or two when it is full of corals and inhabitants.

Photos always help when asking for help so we can see what is leaking.

·
Registered
838 Posts
so what would you suggest then... Run it and see if it leaks
In my experience bulkheads do 1 of 2 things they either leak or they don't. If you run it and it doesn't leak in a 24 hour period I would say it's not going to leak for years to come. Sometimes a little twist makes all the difference. It may not seem like much but a twist to make it tighter or looser is almost always what fixes a leaky bulkhead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts