The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any tips abotu sealing a leak in an acrylic tank? cobalt sold me his 90 rr and when i filled it with water it started leaking. I think he said Andy(myreef) sealed the leak once already but i think that its leaking agian. I bought some acrylic glue from the fish store and more to seal the tank. I really like this tank but i cant keep it if its too hard to repair. Let me know if anyone has any tips.. thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Acrylic sealent is mostly methylene chloride and it chemically bonds the acrylic. The IPS Weld-On products are great. If you want a quick bond use the lower numbers like Weld-on 2 or 3. This will set in about 30 seconds, but isn't really strong for another 24 hours. You can add acrylic shavings to the crack as well if you use Weld-on 2 or 3 and it will dissolve into the crack. The higher numbers like Weld-on 16 are thicker and require several minutes to set up and usually require you to use a clamp to hold the pieces together. But you can use the thicker paste to fill cracks in the acrylic, but it is somewhat messy. I would use the lower numbers, without shavings to see if that works. If not, switch to the 16 and fill the crack.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok a worker at the fish store and more told me to use a syringe to inject the sealant into the seam and seal it off. im trying that right now. Its really hard to identify where the leak is but its very small. I got less than half a cup for the whole day. thansk for the advise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.