The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I posted this yesterday, but looks like it disappeared. Here's my start of this project using marine epoxy.
Used to much epoxy on first rock, Later picture shows pillar on lava rock, it will have extensions to glue corals to. It takes hours. I really like the pillars, will make 4 at a time, use cut up coke bottle to hold top rocks while they cure.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking cool. Can't wait to see pics of it with corals and what not.
Yeah at least couple of months, want the lava rock to set in fresh water for several weeks then drain it. The tank has new silicon in it also, so has some chemical left overs. Probably all the epoxy two. I'm in no hurry enjoying the ride.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thought's on the rock structure has been evolving, pillars tall in back and shorter in front, 2 sections per side connected together, can put stuff on connecting sections. Cave in middle for shy critters and maybe a sand pit for a clam. I changed over to silicon easier to glue pillars together, if I find weak spots will add some epoxy. Of course smaller pillars will be connected to larger ones via epoxy ledges. Small section in front for frags. I've been working on lots of things, rocks, lights (almost done), controller - basic operation a few weeks away, full graphical system several months.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't you think it looks a little synthetic?
Agreed! Been thinking of that, on the other hand - when have you just seen a pile of rocks on a natural reef? But will add spikes and such, with some diversity to the structure, over time it will look more natural. Want to maximize growing area, not just for corals but for other organisms. Hoping to get some volunteer coral, the diversity in structure may increase this possibility.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Don't you think it looks a little synthetic?
Agreed! Been thinking of that, on the other hand - when have you just seen a pile of rocks on a natural reef? But will add spikes and such, with some diversity to the structure, over time it will look more natural. Want to maximize growing area, not just for corals but for other organisms. Hoping to get some volunteer coral, the diversity in structure may increase this possibility.
Man all I can think about seeing those is them covered in different colored polyps, browns and greens like something you would see on a Indiana Jones movie
Think they look pretty cool.
Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.