The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am open for suggestions on one last fish for my reef tank (mostly all softies polyps, with brain and frogspawn)

Right now I have

Blue Damsel
Clown
purple DottyBack
6 line Wrasse

Would I even be ok getting 2 more fish. Tank has been up for over a year. Just wanting to add 1 or 2 more fish then continue adding coral. Just looking for suggestions from the group

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Given that all those fish can be aggressive and territorial, I would recommend something with some attitude. Anything peaceful is probably going to get its butt kicked.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya thats what I was thinking. Surprisingly nothing really happens between the fish now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many more do you think I can fit.. 1 more or would I be ok with 2 more since the fish are all relatively small fish?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would 2 cardinal fish be ok? They arent the fastest swimmers which makes me worry with the other fish.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I'd worry about that damsel picking on anything in open water. Dottyback may pick on blennies. Maybe some gobies? You'd still probably want to rearrange the rocks and put them in at night though...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try that. None of them seem that aggressive towards eachother. my tank has a decent amount of different places to hide and everything. I think the cardinals would be a bad idea because they are just slower swimmers

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Everybody probably has their own territory established by now. They might not have really aggressive temperments but wouldn't be happy about a newcomer in their space either. If you're brave you could try a cherub angel. Mine takes no crap from anyone and was my final addition (well other than a pair of tiny yellow line gobies which no one seemed to mind). It's 50/50 on whether they'll pick at coral though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya i am worried about the coral mostly because I would like to add a decent amount of coral to my tank. . . . none of them seem to dominate a particular area. They all kinda swim around together. except when they go to sleep. Lol they all go to one area. Then once lights come on they are all together again.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I am open for suggestions on one last fish for my reef tank (mostly all softies polyps, with brain and frogspawn)

Right now I have

Blue Damsel
Clown
purple DottyBack
6 line Wrasse

Would I even be ok getting 2 more fish. Tank has been up for over a year. Just wanting to add 1 or 2 more fish then continue adding coral. Just looking for suggestions from the group
What about a hawkish?

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
I would not add a hawkfish with a shrimp, its not a matter of if but when it goes bad for the shrimp.
With the fish load you have you could probably get away with a couple more occelaris clown sized fish but I would look at smaller gobies that wont threaten the others, another one I like that would probably be ok is a bicolor blenny.
Keep in mind that if you really want to expand your coral collection more fish just make more waste you have to deal with to keep the water suitable for corals, and that is going to depend on what kind of coral you take a fancy to

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya i saw the hawkfish goes after shrimp and I dont really want to have to worry about my shrimp. I like the little guy to much. He has been a trooper for me!

As for coral I will probably mostly go with softies and polyps with some LPS mixed in but not much more.

I was thinking of venturing into SPS but really I know they are alot more difficult to care for and in all honesty I dont like them that much. I feel like LPS's look cooler. . I was thikning of maybe a gobie. I like the bi color blenny as well so maybe i will add one of each. and that will be it. I just like to get everyones opinions on fish. I would like to get a tang but I know my tank is a bit to small for one!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If you're looking for a blenny I recommend a tail spot. Mine is out all of the time and has so much personality. I have a bicolor in another tank and all I ever see of him is his head peeking out a few times a day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about a hector goby? any opinions on those?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts