The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are slowly "prettying" up our yard Still on the agenda for this summer is repainting the porch, adding white trellis to the bottom and figuring out what to do with 2 ugly areas. The Ugly corner is to the left of the porch and the Ugly front is to the right. The tea rose will stay in the corner but I'd like to get rid of the evergreen bush.

In the front the previous owners put in ground cover Evergreens and the big bush. The ground cover is very prickly (and ugly) so it is hard to keep weeded. I'd love to pull all of the evergreens out but I don't know what to replace them with.

We live in the far north suburbs of Chicago and the house faces west so the front of the house gets pretty intense afternoon sun.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
crape mertles are very pretty, but can get a little large, put them away from the house, as far as plants go, im not a big plant fan at all, i like trees and flowers, you could flood the beds with different flowers, or get some softer leafy plants, like liriope (sp) what kinda look are you wanting? hedges? plants? color?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I'd work a garden/goldfish pond in there somewhere. Even if was one of the molded types. :drool:

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leveldrummer said:
crape mertles are very pretty, but can get a little large, put them away from the house, as far as plants go, im not a big plant fan at all, i like trees and flowers, you could flood the beds with different flowers, or get some softer leafy plants, like liriope (sp) what kinda look are you wanting? hedges? plants? color?
I guess I want more color I was thinking bulbs maybe? like daylilies something easy Cause I'm lazy

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I love day lillies Kelli ,we have about 200 of them ,I say go for it.:banana:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I will have to take some this week I dont have any on this puter.:doh:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
some flowers would be the best way, flood it with them, a nice subsrate like bark or something to help keep the weeds low. would look great, mix some petunias and such in the front, maybe some angel trumpets too?

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
Crepe Myrtles are pretty, my daighter has one at her house but after they flower, they are MESSY, shedding petal and leaves and the bark sloughs off and makes a big mess :(
Gladiolas are a good perrenial :)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Crepe Myrtles are somewhat messy but as the blooms start to die you can cut them off and they will continue to put out blooms for most of the summer.

Lantana will put out a lot of blooms. There is a variety (I think it's "Anne Marie") that has multi colored blooms. They are an annual so you will have to replant them every year. They attract a lot of butterflies.

I like hybiscus too. I saw a bright yellow this year which I hadn't seen before that was beautiful. The yellow is hard to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts