The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I guess I'll get the ball rolling. This is the latest as of 03/19/06 I'll post more pics and info as time permits.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow everyone has such nice tanks, I really like the kind of rock you have, I have a few of those pieces and they get the nicest mix of corraline on them. Your cleaner is as big as mine, I thought mine was some kind of mutant.
Carrie

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great tank! I agree with Carrie, the LR looks really nice. Those Fiji leathers stand out nicely too! Is that a sleeper poking his head out?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A continuation of my reef aquarium
Probably my first start with aquariums started back in the 50s, when my dad and I setup a small freshwater tank.
I don't believe it was larger than a 10 gallon tank with nothing more than a air driven filter box. That lasted just about maybe a couple years. As the years went by hobbies included drag racing, radio control airplanes, and ho railroad building.
Drag racing got to be a conflict with the family life, gone every weekend racing, also the expense of having to have this and that to go faster. Next came the interest in radio control aircraft. Started out just for fun with basic aircraft and radio equipment but as always had to have bigger and better. Next thing came competitive pattern flying, had to have the best radio equipment and the latest design aircraft. But like with everything, something comes along and your interests go to something else.
So six years ago, my new wife Pam and I find that we are both interested in aquariums. So we decided to setup a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium. It didn't take long for the bug, Bigger and better, to take over. So last year we decided to try our hand in a saltwater aquarium. So at this point I'll start to detail the beginnings and progress of what I call,
Lageo's Reef

Feb 2005
After a couple of visits to Rob's Reef the order is placed for a 150 gallon Perfecto tank (48X24X30). Below are pics of the construction of the stand.

Framing in the stand​

Frame work done, base closed in, and top sheeting done.
A 30 gallon standard glass aquarium set for a sump. First screwup should have made the center upright removable. Later in the history this sump gets changed out.

Front is sheeted. working on doors and stain. Also waiting for the tank.

Doors now hung, staining done, and tank in place. A couple of the wifes personal touches on each side of the tank.
March 2005

Inside of completed canopy. Sorry I didn't do any step by step pics.

Another inside shot. Lighting is two 110 vho uri tubes powered by an
ARO electronic ballast. Two 250 MH XM 20k bulbs also powered by two
ARO electronic ballasts. Installed 3 fans to TRY and eliminate canopy heat.
April 2005

Finally tank has been filled and first addition of live rock added.
75lbs Pukani live rock. Also 120lbs Carib Aragonite reef sand added.

All finished, canopy installed and plumbing set and lights all operational.
Tank now cycling with the live rock.
To be continued....Tank has to cycle anyways​

·
Certifiable Tank Driller
378 Posts
Awsome job Lageo04, but we need more pics!! Is the back of your canopy closed in except for the fan? Did you paint the back of your tank? I know we got our tanks at the same time. Aren't I a slacker!! I'm gonna start one of these threads sometime. I like the looks of that canopy, very unique. Are you running 250's or 400's? Let us know when time permits. Again, the end result looks great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
List of equipment and description
In use as of 05/01/06

Perfecto 150 gallon tank ( 48" L X 24" D X 30" H )
No modifications to tank other than back glass painted black.

Basic tube style siphon overflow box.

Sump was a 30 gal standard aquarium. Now has been upgraded to an acrylic diy sump modeled after Melev's model F sump. I added an
inlet chamber as in his model G sump.

Skimming duties are taken care of by a stock ASM G-3 skimmer with a Sedra 5000 pump.

Return water to tank is by use of a Mag 7 pump.

Refugium feed is via Quiet One 1200 296 gph through a horseshoe spray bar.

Internal tank water movement is though a 620 and 1500 Seio power heads.

The stand, as in the earlier pics, is constructed with standard 2X4s in which are attached with deck screws to the studs in three walls.
It is sheeted with 1/2" finished plywood.
The tank is set to the front edge of the stand leaving a 6.5" opening from the rear of the tank to the wall.
The canopy also extends to the wall leaving the same 6.5 opening at the
rear to vent out heat and an escape route for jumping fish. This has been remedied by the placement of an egg crate partition on the rear edge
of the tank.

Tank lighting is a retro fit 2-250w XM 20k Mh. and 2-110w URI VHO actinic white and super actinic fluorescent bulbs. All powered by ARO electronic ballasts.

Moonlights are through Lebos. Ten Led units mounted on the front edge of the canopy.

Make up and top off water is through a Water General (filters direct) 6 stage RO DI unit. The last carbon unit has been removed in fear of
Phosphates leaching from the last stage. (JMO)

Heater is a 300w titanium Won Brothers unit.

Cooling is being handled by the use of two 4" fans on the sides of the canopy and one 9" fan directed on the surface of the display tank.
Also a larger fan directed on the surface of the sump.

Finally an Aqua Controller ac-3 with a direct connect 8 Monitors Temp, Orp, and Ph. and controls all lighting, heater, and fans.
Temp is holding at an average 80 degrees + or - .3 degrees.

Picture of hood with the front open. Plenty of room for playing in the tank.

Picture of completed sump.

Picture of sump in operation.

Shot of the diy power panel. (trying to stay away from a bunch of power
strips.

Diy power panel that is built into the wall on the right side of the tank
stand. This will be covered by a framed picture on hinges, once we find
one to our liking

Well this is all I have for now. I'll start getting the small list of fish and
corals together and post the pics.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Very clean and organized setup. Great job! I also like the custom electrical panel with corresponding on/off switches.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Holy Cow! 10 moonlights? Isn't 1 Lebos light suppose to cover a 2 ft area? I only ordered a 3 light kit for my 180. I hope it's enough. Do you by any chance have a picture with just the moonlights?

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
For someone so humble, you have an awsome setup! If only mine was so well though out and organized.

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
teach said:
Holy Cow! 10 moonlights? Isn't 1 Lebos light suppose to cover a 2 ft area? I only ordered a 3 light kit for my 180. I hope it's enough. Do you by any chance have a picture with just the moonlights?

I was going to ask the same thing. I have a two light kit and at full moon stage it lights up the tank, given I have a much, much smaller tank. 10 lights at full moon must be something. Any moonlight pictures at full moon stage?

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
the moon does cover much more surface area with light than 5 or 6 moonlights

not trying to be a smart @#$ either but there is only one sun, why so many powercompacts,vho's, or MH?

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK makes sense, and I honestly was'nt trying to be a smartass if I were I'm sure I could come up with much better:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Come to think of it this is a great topic for debate (-smartass comments) This is my reasoning. The sun is a vast object that we try to simulate with pretty good results "multiple lights". We could make our halides mimic the sun moving accross the sky by putting muktiple timers to turn them on and off, but until the day is over there will still have to be light pretty much over the entire reeftank. Now the moon is a "speck" compared to the sun and even at a full moon it only puts so much light on the reef "been diving on a full moon several times its AWESOME"! The full moon is only so many days of the month also. Now the moon moves like the sun accross the sky so maybe multiple moonlights with a timer would be a cool thing, also if you just like the multiple moonlights "sweet". IMO running one moonlight is enough or maybe two for larger tanks and only so many days a month to mimic a moon cycle. Now whats your opinion on the best methodology for moonlights? I am open for ideas for my own tank, if you know of a thread that speaks of this lets read it.

Chow,
Dave

1 - 20 of 39 Posts