The Reef Tank banner

Is Kordon Ich Attach safe for Starfish and other Inverts?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe (Comment below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Sailfin Tang who has come down with a nasty case of the Ich. He's currently in a 20g hospital tank, however I am afraid that he has also infected the display tank. I bought some Kordon Ich Attach and would like to use some of it in the DT to be sure nothing else gets infected (he's lost some spots, which I assume are now breeding in the tank). Has anyone used this? I don't have corals at the moment, but I do have craploads of brittle stars, Asterinas and hermit crabs and would like to ensure the safety of my invert friends. The active ingredient is Napthoquinone, and it claims that it is invert safe, however it does not mention anything about starfish. Is there anyone who has experience with this product?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing that is reef/invert safe will actually kill the ich. You'd need to leave the main tank empty of fish for 8-12 weeks for the ich to starve off.
After some research I have concluded that Ich Attack is basically useless. My Hospital tank is unfortunately cycling and I am getting ammonia readings, I had dosed with Prime however I think the hypo just killed all the bacteria. Is there a better way to prepare the hypo tank? Poor Stripey isn't in good shape, so I would like to get him in hypo asap

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I forgot to mention is that we had to take him out of QT and back in the DT because the QT tank was not properly cycled. He ended up turning white and was found laying sideways on the bottom of the QT. He is back in the DT and appears to be feeling much better although he still won't eat. I have soaked some nori in garlic but he won't touch it. He has noticeable less Ich after we treated Ich Attack in both the hypo QT and the DT. It was a gamble throwing him back into the DT with the higher salinity, but I think I made the right choice. Is there another way to quickly prepare the QT to that we can attempt to let the DT Ich starve out? I tried to add Prime but instead just got ammonia after 24 hours. Any help is appreciated.
Also the starfish and crabs don't appear to be bothered by the Ich Attack. On a suggestion we are dosing 250% twice a day. There is definitely less Ich on the sail fin now so it might be working, after all we've done to him I doubt he is fighting it off on his own...

· Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I haven't used Kordon Ich Attack, so I can't help you with that. I can tell you my own experience with a hospital tank though. I used Cupramine - Seachem's copper medication - and did a water change every other day. I used a filter pad from an HOB filter I ran on the regular tank for clearing water. With the small amount of bacteria in the pad, one fish and light feedings you should be able to prevent any ammonia damage by doing daily/every other day water changes. Be very careful using Prime in conjunction with medications. Prime + Cupramine will kill fish. I'm not sure about it's interactions with other medications. As for hypo, I have never used that method but there is a sticky in this section with directions I believe.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's been a crappy two weeks. First off Kordon Ich Attack is completely safe for inverts; unfortunately it is also completely ineffective vs Marine Ich. What I did notice is that when treating our Sailfin that he did seem to perk up after treatments, but the MI continued to get worse. We placed him into a 20g HT and treated with Kordon Rapid-Cure with a 50% water change every other day.
This was semi-effective. Mr. Stripey's Ich progressed to the terminal stage and within the last day his eyes were completely cloudy and he stopped eating. This afternoon I found him dead in the HT. I have concluded that Kordon's Ich Attack has no effect on Crypto / Marine Ich, and that Rapid-Cure which contains Malachite Green is only semi-effective and may be too harsh to use in a recirculating hospital tank. The next time around we will only use Copper based medications and quarantine for at least 4 weeks. Currently our DT is fallow and we will wait at least another 5 weeks before purchasing more fish, quarantine for 4 weeks and treat for Ich using Copper which is what I wish we'd done in the first place.
Thanks for the help ChiWing, I definitely know what NOT to do in the future...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.