The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 30... i want 3 of whatever size should be best?

3 #1's or 3 #2's

or bigger? more?

its just softies and a SSB

i wish they didn't stick out so far, so the smallest one that will work and not look obnoxious is pretty much what i'm looking for. also, i don't wan them if they are prone to eating fish and shrimp.... they look like they could be dangerous :help:

So.... open to suggestions.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
They just unveiled them at Max this weekend. They are a buck ninety-five:D Should be available very soon. Very small, but with wide flow. There are some pics on RC and description. Try the ecco forum.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
i need to move the water in my tank, not move the water through the glass Hop :D
I guess that rules out two koralia 8'es on each end of the tank. Although I can tell you that the 1/4" acrylic in my 12G nano tank could handle the blast from a mag18 sitting in it.Just made a heckuva mess until I put a top on it but the tank stood up :)
I was scared to try that test on a 10G tank from Walmart though.

2 K4'es. I did put two MJ1200 Mods in my 29 tank and it wasn't near as violent as I thought it was going to be but it didn't have rock in the tank, just water. The MJ Mods I have are 2100gph each.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I currently have a K2 in my 30 long as well as an old hagen 402. I have been thinking of changing the Hagen 402 (which is better suited to run a UGF) to a K3. I think 3 K2s would give a good amount of flow for softies. JMHO

· Registered
164 Posts
With my 37gal I have 2 K 1's on opposite sides of the tank; one is about ½ way down angled up, and the other is little higher not angled for surface agitation. In addition have a K (nano) along the back of the tank; with a rio 400 hidden behind some rocks; my return (Mag 3) is centered but angled down some.
Wow when I get on paper it seems like a lot but I still have some dead spots lol! :lol:

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
So now I think I under bought. The tank that's coming in is 93 gallons, 48" long. I purchased two K3 units for this tank. Is this going to be enough, or should I get more?
Well, it depends what you want to keep. Seems like most people like 3 or 4 for a 4 foot tank. THe real question is are there dead spots? Are your critters seaming happy with the flow?

· Registered
969 Posts
Well, it depends what you want to keep. Seems like most people like 3 or 4 for a 4 foot tank. THe real question is are there dead spots? Are your critters seaming happy with the flow?
Catch 22, I don't have the tank or the critters yet, so I don't know. I want to set it up so I can keep almost anything in there, whether I end up doing so or not. I really wanted to get the Ecotech MP40, but cost was a huge factor on that one. So maybe a couple more of the 3s....

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Catch 22, I don't have the tank or the critters yet, so I don't know. I want to set it up so I can keep almost anything in there, whether I end up doing so or not. I really wanted to get the Ecotech MP40, but cost was a huge factor on that one. So maybe a couple more of the 3s....
I think everyone wants to set up a tank for everything when they are getting started. Its kind of tough to know what you want in there when you are getting started. How can you know what to want if you haven't tried anything yet?:nuts: When it comes to flow there isn't really a setup thats good for everything. The flow that an acro tank would love would batter an elegance to death. There are of course some room for compromise in a tank with higher light and flow species at the top and lower light and flow at the bottom. Every setup is so different that its kind of hard to say what wil be enough or too much until you see it happening, at least for me :) Maybe some of these old salts lurkig around can do a better job of estimating without seeing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.