The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new tank (72 gal bow front) and was looking at
the Koralia Water Circulation Pumps.

Does anyone know how well they hold up on a wavemaker?

I was thinking about getting 2 of the # 3's (850 gph)
and setting them up on a wavemaker.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
The rattling when starting up is said to decrease the overall lifespan of the pump. Some people have used the seio controllers which rev the power up and down (without stopping). Keep in mind that if you use the controller, it voids the warranty of the controller and the koralia. I've heard rumors that Koralia will come out with a controller of it's own, but haven't seen anything definite yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Mabie I'll just go with the Maxi-Jet 1200's again as they seem to hold up well with a wavemaker.

I moded the last set Of them I had so they shoot out a different direction depending on startup rotation.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
If you don't need a wavemaker, the Koralias are an excellent choice. I have a mod maxijet too and it puts out more flow, but not as wide as my Koralia 4's. I like them both, and get good random flow with them bouncing off each other and the glass.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Fair warning, I hooked my 2 Koralia 3's up to my Wavemaster Pro to see what would happen. I know the clicking on startup comes from the impeller being pushed forward before it settles back into place, so I placed a very small piece of airline tubing there to stop that (thanks Fat Tony ;) ). They were silent at startup so I thought I had it licked. The problem is that when the Wavemaster kicks on it has various timings and sometimes doesn't stay on long at all. What I found is that while most of the time the pumps would push the water out the way they are supposed to, every once in a while they would start in reverse and actually be pulling water into them instead. I am glad I didn't just say everything is good and walk away and leave them running like that.

I now have a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro for sale that is in excellent condition, all of the outlets and the lights work, if anyone is interested. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Wolf, the propeller "kicks" at start up in order to seat itself properly and have the impeller rotate so that water is pushed out. I've heard it explained, it has something to do with alternating current. By placing the airline tubing there, you're keeping it from seating itself properly. If you remove the tubing, it will work like normal again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts