The Reef Tank banner

Which Powerhead would you choose?

13K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  wyliecoyote 
#1 ·
Ok, so Im in a dilemma. I dont know what powerhead to decide

Koralia 4: The size of a soda can, but they push 1200 gph. The approximate wait is 2-3 weeks for these guys

Tunze 6025: I dont know the size (Im imagining close in size), but they only push 600 gph. The wait is HOPEFULLY only 2 weeks Ive been told, but its been pushed back since christmas.

The prices are very comparable. So if anyone has had experience with either or both, let me know. I need to make the decision soon.
Thanks, Joe

#5 ·
I can't tell you which one is better yet as I have not seen either in action (my Koralia 4's should arrive tomorrow) but I was able to buy them just last week from 123fish.net for only $43.99/each. They were out of stock when I first ordered them 3/25 but they got a new shipment in on 3/27. Maybe they still have some left? (and at a great price!)

http://123fish.net/gc/getListing.php?Category=Pumps+&+Powerheads&NumRows=132&PageNo=5

#6 ·
Now people have me worried about the size. I arranged a couple coke cans in my tank, to emulate the 4s, and it seemed like itd take up alot of space.

#10 ·
I am facing the same dilemma, except I bought a Seio...the thing is an awful grey. I'm shortly going to sell it and replace it with a Tunze. Check out the Tunze nano 6045, its a bit pricier, but similar size to the 6025 and pushes close to 1200 gph. I think its worth the cash when its something you gotta look at everyday. I learned the hard way, and now am going to pay even more to make it right.
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1366

#16 ·
Hmmm, that brings up an interesting question. People here are suggesting 30-40x turnover for SPS (for 60g, this would be 1800-2400 gph), so in that regard it isnt too much, but is it too much if coming from one source (i.e. does this need to be provided by 2 or more pumps?). In my 118g, I'm wondering if I should do 2 nanostreams, or just go for it with a vortech pushing 3000 gph, does this matter that the circulation is from 1 source (in addition to the return)?

#18 ·
all I can do is repeat what people told me :) so that is like 1300 gph plus your return, so approx 25x turnover. That is what they were suggesting as a minimum for SPS, so that would probably be fine. I know the more sources the better (for random flows) but I'm wondering what the benefit of 2 v 1 is if you dont have a wavemaker or anything, because you could save money and minimize the space used for pumps by having one 6045 v. 2 6025s. (or in my case its 2 6045s v. one vortech)

#26 ·
Thats true, it seems like the better the pump, the less the drop off. I had a pretty decent sized rio in my tank before, and it was almost too much water flow it felt like. Now you can hardle feel the flow. Same with the MJ900s, they felt like a bunch, now theyre barely pushing water. Lets hope the Tunzes stay up there.

#25 ·
Flyguy and Geoff say to go big, and theyre two of three guys (whiskey being the other) that have helped me tons along the way of learning the ropes here, along with everyone else answering my questions. But they are guys I PM and message. So I think 6045 it is. Thanks to all, and keep it comin in.

#28 ·
And BTW, how do you guys say it?

1) tuhns
2) Toon-Zee

I say it Toon-Zee, not sure if thats wrong lol.
holly crap...ive always said it like "tons"......of course ive never owned any.....

I just googled for a couple seconds and found this:

Accepted English is Tun-zee

Grammatically correct German is Toon-zah

Cliff Claven here....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.