The Reef Tank banner

Which Powerhead would you choose?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Im in a dilemma. I dont know what powerhead to decide

Koralia 4: The size of a soda can, but they push 1200 gph. The approximate wait is 2-3 weeks for these guys

Tunze 6025: I dont know the size (Im imagining close in size), but they only push 600 gph. The wait is HOPEFULLY only 2 weeks Ive been told, but its been pushed back since christmas.

The prices are very comparable. So if anyone has had experience with either or both, let me know. I need to make the decision soon.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To The Top

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
I can't tell you which one is better yet as I have not seen either in action (my Koralia 4's should arrive tomorrow) but I was able to buy them just last week from 123fish.net for only $43.99/each. They were out of stock when I first ordered them 3/25 but they got a new shipment in on 3/27. Maybe they still have some left? (and at a great price!)

http://123fish.net/gc/getListing.php?Category=Pumps+&+Powerheads&NumRows=132&PageNo=5

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now people have me worried about the size. I arranged a couple coke cans in my tank, to emulate the 4s, and it seemed like itd take up alot of space.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have the Hydors #4's and they rock !

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail -->

<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail -->

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am facing the same dilemma, except I bought a Seio...the thing is an awful grey. I'm shortly going to sell it and replace it with a Tunze. Check out the Tunze nano 6045, its a bit pricier, but similar size to the 6025 and pushes close to 1200 gph. I think its worth the cash when its something you gotta look at everyday. I learned the hard way, and now am going to pay even more to make it right.
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1366

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I have the Hydors #4's and they rock !

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail -->

<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail -->
i have them too !! and i agree that they kick ars !! and you will be getting double the flow from them. if it does turn out to be to much ... you can always have a spare.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tank is a 24x24x24 cube, with an overflow, and a 9x5" diffuser thing on the top.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have the Tunze Nano Stream and I love it! Low wattage, High speed wide flow. Silent.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And at the size of a tennis ball, I think that made my decision..... I think the 6045 would be too much for my 60g cube.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
And at the size of a tennis ball, I think that made my decision..... I think the 6045 would be too much for my 60g cube.
Hmmm, that brings up an interesting question. People here are suggesting 30-40x turnover for SPS (for 60g, this would be 1800-2400 gph), so in that regard it isnt too much, but is it too much if coming from one source (i.e. does this need to be provided by 2 or more pumps?). In my 118g, I'm wondering if I should do 2 nanostreams, or just go for it with a vortech pushing 3000 gph, does this matter that the circulation is from 1 source (in addition to the return)?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you dont think two 6025s will be sufficient for some sps in my 60g?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
all I can do is repeat what people told me :) so that is like 1300 gph plus your return, so approx 25x turnover. That is what they were suggesting as a minimum for SPS, so that would probably be fine. I know the more sources the better (for random flows) but I'm wondering what the benefit of 2 v 1 is if you dont have a wavemaker or anything, because you could save money and minimize the space used for pumps by having one 6045 v. 2 6025s. (or in my case its 2 6045s v. one vortech)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can see the difference in 1 vs. 2, but not 2 vs 3. 1 obviously doesnt have any random flow.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im leaning towards the 2 6045s now. Geoff is scaring me into thinking the 6025s arent enough flow LOL.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts