The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as of now i am using a 1" vinyl hose from my mag 7 in the sump to the tank.........so i want it to be less........well............cheesy..............so i want to do PVC from the mag 7 to the tank and then since i already have two powerheads pointing down in the tank.............i think if i put a 90 degree peice on the end so its skimming across the top that would be good............can i get this stuff at home depot and what should i and shouldnt i get

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I did my first tank in PVC. The return and both CLS's. A big mistake. The vibration from the pumps reverberated throughout the entire stand and the whole system was audible through the entire house. That was a %%g. When I moved up to the 150, I had more pumps and bigger pumps. I used Hard PVC for the drains but flex PVC on both sides of the CLS pump and Clear tubing up to the return manifold. The 150 system was sooooop much quieter than the 55. The problem with clear tubing is that in time it will get algae build up...period. Flex PVC is the way to go. It works with normal PVC fittings and reduces vibration and sound transfer. Hard plumbing just isnt a good idea IMO. It works for manifolds and such but you really need the flex in there where pumps are concerned. The flex PVC can be a pain to work with so soften it in a tub of very hot water or lay it in the hot sun to soften it up. Then just shape it as needed.

Robert

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used 3" of reinforced vinyl tubing to connect to the bulk heads and to a barb connected to rigid pvc and it works great for the return on the sump to my 120. I like the rigid as long as you put in couplers and a ball valve on each return to stop water from draining back when you disonnect. The barbs may reduce flow a bit but I have a mag18 as a return pump and I need to restrict flow a little to keep up with the overflow box so i divert some of the water into a UV sterilizer and still seem to have plenty of flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts