The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here it goes. . . my almost three year old daughter decided that she wanted the "Pretty pink" bottle that housed my blood worms to put make a home for her "pet rock."

Since the bottle was 3/4 full, she just dumped the contents into my 90 gal tank. :angry:

Short of kicking my skimmer into high gear, there isn't much I can do to get the excess food out. Since the blood worms are nearly invisible once in the tank, I can't even feel that I am effectively vacuuming out the detrius. Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions. . . other than crossing my fingers and hoping for the best :D

Would a water change at this point help, or should I wait until tomorrow-- after everything starts to break down??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
hehe. . . the bottle was thankfully only a .28 oz bottle, 8g. Considering that when I was about her age my sister and I gave the fish a "bath" with nearly an entire bottle of Jirmak shampoo-- and conditioner :eek: I guess, I can consider myself very lucky!

I am hoping that this won't be a fatal event. Luckily it looks like *most* of the contents were poured onto the glass piece that bridges the middle of the tank. I will monitor the ammonia and nitrate levels and do water changes as needed. We've had a long discussion about feeding mommy's fish. I had the food on a shelf that even I needed a stool to reach, but I'd swear the kids are half monkey-- they climb up everything when not being closely watched!! :funny:

This will be a learning exerience for all I guess. . .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the best news I've had all day!!. . . blood worms FLOAT!!

After a few hours with my net and algae scraper, I was able to successfully "skim" out most of the excess food!

Hopefully what I couldn't net will be taken care of by the fish/skimmer/DSB. . . even so, I will closely monitor my water parameters and keep my fingers crossed! :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.