The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I copied this from a 3REEF forum, because it was already put together. Im thinking about expanding my lighting. So I can get into more hard and SPS corals. And this seemed like a good option. Was curious about what TRT's thoughts were. Currently running a coralife 2 10K T5's and 2 atenic with moonlight LED lighting. On a 90gallon bowfront with a depth of 24".

Is anybody running these?
What do they think?

Here is a close up of the new Kessil A150W LED spotlight that will be available again in mid to late June for an MSRP of $275. The 1st batch sold out! Kessil got their start in horticulture lighting, but unlike others before them, Kessil is bringing over a rather advanced LED spotlight repurposed for aquariums. The A150W (is not 150 watts, rather equivalent, wide angle) houses a 30 watt DEX 2100 multi-chip LED that appears similar to Ecoxotic's Cannon lamps. These are powerful, penetrating LEDs.

Kessil A150W LED prototype rebadged as the H150W - Ocean Blue

The Kessil A150W LED will be available in a range of Kelvin temps from 6700k to 20k. (see attached PDFs) At BAYMAC, the Kessil on display had a very impressive spectrum with a very nice white/blue blend. I believe I was looking at the 20k (edit 15k - wow! - nice 15k) as there was a lot of blue (see pic). (Actually I was looking at the H150W - Ocean Blue - their grow light version! - nice as is) Confusion from the labeling - this is an A150W prototype that has a H150W label - the Aquarium 'A' version had UV and white unlike the grow light version. When the Kessil rep put the 10k over the tank, it was predictably whiter. Actually what was more impressive to me was the spread. The wide-angle lens filled the cube tank shown without any noticable dark spots from about 10" from the water. Kessil says the A150W LED aquarium lamp has a coverage range of 12" - 24" .

I've been partial to cube tanks for a while and I think a single Kessil A150W with the optional goose-neck mount would be a great lamp for a Mr. Aqua 18x18x18 25 gallon or even deeper tanks with the multi-chip penetration.

Cool stuff from Kessil! Look forward to seeing more from them soon.

matt

More:
Kessil Lighting- The Spectral Revolution

·
Registered
404 Posts
30 watts of leds for 275$, this is Marineland territory. The claim of being different leds than the competition is dubious. Their own supplied graph shows it's nearly identical to the standard white+blue. You'd probably need 4 of them to come any close to the Ecotech Radion in light output, it would cost you more, and the spectrum wouldn't be nearly as good.

I wouldn't trust that company, just my opinion based on the way they spin the info.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I have a 12k ecoxotic 50watt cannon for sale. Good price. If your interested ;)

·
I got Crabs
1,458 Posts
i run 3 10ks and 2 15ks on my tank... 125 gallon. These things put out some light... don't know the difference in effect yet since replacing my 6 t5s with these, Only been running a week now.

What I can say is my softies have never opened up these much before and look so full. The 10k's alone washed out some color, and I had to add the 15ks...

I have a picture in this thread, just the 10ks so far

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/diyers-question-173986.html

I would not have gone this route at the retail price fyi personally, but I got em at wholesale dealer cost and could not past it up, came out cheaper then building my own, which was original plan.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was thinking of going with a couple 10k kessils myself, but I heard they are not very bright causing you to purchase more. I have a 72 gallon bow front that I think I may be able to get by with 2.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dont underestimate the lumens/watt of LED lighting. a 30W cannon LED roughly compares to the light output of a 150W MH with the penetration of a 250W metal halide.

The reflector in the kessil A150's is very good and much directional than a MH fixture.
Good point, every time I see a led system I get the sticker shock. They are ALL too expensive :lol:

·
I got Crabs
1,458 Posts
just completed the install of my 2 15k kessils, and my color is back, :) Total cost will pay for it self in 2 - 3 years of t5 bulb change outs (6ea). Not counting in the heat difference and electric cost. Just in one week I notice a difference in top off water and temp.

I have a bad camera, this weekend my friend is coming over with his, and we r gonna take before and after shots, my t'5 and leds..

Still no bleaching, or ill effect on corals as of yet, only been a week o so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts