The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
I would not use toothpicks. What I have used is either string wrapped around the base and then wrap that around a rock, or what I have been doing and will from now on (the better way IMO) is taking some stretchy "bridal veil" mesh, placing the frag on the rock, and wrapping the mesh around it. What you want to do is get the foot part to naturally attach to the rock part. Usually only takes a week and then you can take it off and share your frags :)

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
I would just tie it in a secure knot. That is just me though... I dont like to use glue on rocks unless it is directly under a coral like an acropora/montipora/anything that will grow over it. I did that before and was left with dead spots where the glue was. I would use small peices of rubble rock and then once it attaches it is very easy to glue/epoxy the small peice of rock onto a larger one if you want. That is just me though...

I found this stuff works great if you don't mind spending a few bucks. The proper name for it is tulle and can be found at any fabric shop... even Wal-Mart. It has a cross-stretch so it stretches in one direction allowing for a secure, but not smothering hold. I use this for all the slippery and slimey frags that are very difficult to glue... like kenyas and xenia

just cut a small peice to place over the frag and about half the rock, wrap it around a small rock after placing the frag in place and secure it with rubber bands wrapped around the rock around the part the frag is on, but not over the frag. Putting the frag's base in a small depression or valley in the rock is helpful too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kenya trees multiply very fast and you may find them attaching themselves to the glass and behind rocks, so keep an eye out for them. They are a great coral to frag. I have cut the stem at the base, super glued (gel) the cutting to a small frag rock, and both the new and the cut piece will continue to grow. As for the arms coming off, they were so numerous that I finally decided to have a "no Kenya tree" tank

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
It's a kenya tree...That's what they do.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts