The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
18,788 Posts
You can use carbon to somewhat ameliorate the effects of it but placement and tank size are the two most important factors. I've found that LPS are much better at coexisting with large quantities of soft corals than SPS but if the location is right I can successfully grow all three together. It just takes being thoughtful about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys...
Just lost a very nice brain to a kenya tree branches that came off the mother and attached
next to the brain, it happened fast.. very expensive lesson!!
mite have to rethink my hole tank, softies are taking over, could turn into a chem. war zone.:cool:

Attachments

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Wow...never seen that before. I have a few kenyas in the tank now (they reporduce quickly). Some are right by acans, star polyps, toadstool, and mushrooms with no noticeable ill effects except for the one toadstool, but that looks more like stinging or predation than any type of chemical warfare.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow...never seen that before. I have a few kenyas in the tank now (they reporduce quickly). Some are right by acans, star polyps, toadstool, and mushrooms with no noticeable ill effects except for the one toadstool, but that looks more like stinging or predation than any type of chemical warfare.
with all my softies there has been no problem, but i am trying to go more in the LPS, SPS, and they don"t seem to like the softies to much...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I could be wrong, but iirc, Leather corals are the ones that usually resort to allelopathy, and most other softies tend to sting or overgrow other corals before they use chemical warfare. We avoided sinularia, sarcophyton, and lobophytum based on this (reported) tendancy, plus their habit of shedding.
So in our 37gal. tank, unless there was direct contact(i.e., stinging), I haven't run into any problems mixing softies and LPS.
That said, if you're in the mood to read, maybe try wetwebmedia.com and search the individual softies' names. Also, THIS site looks good.
But, as with anything important, you might want to get outside confirmation before acting on anything you read at either site.

hth:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could be wrong, but iirc, Leather corals are the ones that usually resort to allelopathy, and most other softies tend to sting or overgrow other corals before they use chemical warfare. We avoided sinularia, sarcophyton, and lobophytum based on this (reported) tendancy, plus their habit of shedding.
So in our 37gal. tank, unless there was direct contact(i.e., stinging), I haven't run into any problems mixing softies and LPS.
That said, if you're in the mood to read, maybe try wetwebmedia.com and search the individual softies' names. Also, THIS site looks good.
But, as with anything important, you might want to get outside confirmation before acting on anything you read at either site.

hth:)
Thanks Random..
Time to do some more reading:lol:
Thanks for the link!! :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts