The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a tongue n cheek sorta way I broached this over on Paul's thread.....and of course that got me thinking.....which of course now means WHEN WILL I GET STARTED EXPERIMENTING.

Did a cursory look around our site and found nothing to put this under......so till such time that is remedied, I'll kick the tires here.

A 'temperate' marine aquarium......can mean a whole slew of things, so I will narrow this down to where I live...Northern Mid Atlantic/Southern North East coast. And to whittle down a bit further.....coastal waters ranging from creeks/back bays out to perhaps the end of the jetties that dot my area of Southern New Jersey.

Temperatures have a wide range from 38F in February to 75 in August, with today's surf temperature a balmy 74.7.
These temps along our coast fluctuate wildly, even on a daily bases at the beach bordering the Atlantic, and move in 1-2 miles to the creeks and back bays that the Atlantic feeds, it can be EVEN MORE ERRATIC. Nice shallow waters ranging from 6' to a mud flat under a baking Heat wave August sun......to a day in Late January where I'm walking across the frozen creek.

I've honestly never personally measured the temps at my creek I call home 6 days a week......but shall to morrow, and each day at work from now on and create my own record.

TEMPERATURE

LIGHTING

NUTRIENT LEVELS

FLOW

Pretty much take the fact sheets from the TROPICAL REEF KEEPING hobby and toss out the window.....as well as the stereotypical mind set of a 'cold water aquarium' which indeed can range to the North and South polar regions.

Even in the same creek, same 100' of water the temperature, flow, and lighting can be vastly different.....think of the piece of water under a shaded dock on an August afternoon, with the current running at 6 knots in the channel, and NO FLOW behind a piling.

I've been to several public aquariums and viewed their 'temperate displays'......and they usually have a room for this with several of the different environments....VERY COOL by the way if you get a chance. And of particular relevance the Atlantic City Aquarium at Gardner's basin right here........has planted the seed in my noggin I'm sure from my countless visits there.

ABSOLUTELY NOT GIVING UP MY FRAG ROOM, but can see an itch here I may be looking to scratch.

I can picture a biotope based around where I spend my days......perhaps a tidal pool, a dock, a small dead ended creek....

There's stuff to kick around here. I of course will be using local waters that I pretty much bring home pals full every day, and would forgo any additional 'reef salts', and use what they live in.

And of course this may fade from interest.....BUT maybe not.

Anyone here ever tried such an endeavor?
Hack
Sky Water Cloud Water resources Boat

Cloud Water Sky Boat Watercraft

Water Water resources Sky Wood Cloud

There's potential!

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,650 Posts
There sure is Hack. I have been following a fella on YouTube who bought a lobster from the grocery store. I was really skepitcal but clicked anyway. Leon (the lobster…) seems to be doing very well. A temperate set up would open up a lot of options we couldn’t do at our reef temps. Lobsters, different sea fans and feather dusters, I have seen oyster tanks too.

In some cases you may need to run a chiller which can be an added cost. You are right though, rules would be almost the same but oxygen content and the rate of biological metabolism may Be different and require more or less filtration. Who knows.

For you you could simply dive for your stock and bring home the same water they were born in.

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For you you could simply dive for your stock and bring home the same water they were born in.
THAT'S the part I find intriguing.
Even the 'not exciting' stuff I find fascinating, and see on a daily bases......just the tidal marsh at work seeing all the snails, crabs, and minnows.....Over the years I've drug more stuff home, and right up till I tore my tank down this past winter I've had Grass Shrimp in there forever. Clear, can't find them at a glance......started dragging them home to feed my tank, and they decided to live in there.

Here's some of the 'local stuff' i reach down and drag home.....though never lasted long, perhaps a couple weeks at best in our tropical reefs.

Water Natural environment Organism Coastal and oceanic landforms Underwater

Underwater Recipe Water Marine biology Dish

Sponges
Food Tableware Sharing Recipe Dishware

Oooooops....never mind THAT one. it was good though. ;)

Water Organism Fish supply Pet supply Aquatic plant

'Sargassum sea weed'

Would be interesting to see how such things fare with a more 'suitable' environment.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,523 Posts
I think we really underestimate the hardiest of many of our coral and fish. Over the years I’ve seen some crazy stuff and thing survive. All kinds of conditions for long periods of time.
I was in the Caribbean in the heat of summer and the waters if I remember right was about 85. But it’s season and changes gradually.

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YES! That's what I will be.....MAYBE.....looking at. Just like that 'REEF in a JUG' experiment. Just to 'look outside the box' and see what's there.
Hack
(y)

·
Super Moderator
28,523 Posts
Hack over here in PNW a lot of folks have done "native Tanks" Our temps over here are a bit lower so most people with long term tanks run chillers, esp up in Puget Sound or North Oregon Coast
Who was it over in your area with the cold water tank. Was his name Steve?

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS for that link Vinnie.
Hack
DUH.....HIT SEND!

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ii hope perhaps this thread sparks an interest in someone to get excited and give this 'alternate' a go.....but for me, after doing the cursory 'power searching' thing, I wanted to clarify as far as my interest in this goes.....this will only be an 'experiment'.

After looking around and having seen Vinnie's reference, I see the level of resources people have thrown at this aspect of our hobby. NOT ME........ 1/2" acrylic, and dedicated chillers are PROBABLY NOT IN THE WINGS for me. I'm going to be 'experimenting' with what I have right in front of me on the creek, and see what I can do with this in my typical modest working class fashion.

Though I find this aspect incredibly interesting and exciting, my money allotments are dedicated to my Frags. Tough to have more than one 'hobby'.....but 'experiments' don't count. ;) 😁
Hack

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I am 'thinking about' is 'water temperature'.......

Our bay that the creeks and tidal pools are fed from has these 'average temperatures'...
WINTER 43.2F
SPRING 49.1F
SUMMER 72.5F
FALL 64.6F
****(Making the 'average' at 57.4F)

*I'm not going to shoot for 57.4F year round. What I am interested in trying is what..... maintaining, say 70-75F year round will have on our local flora and fauna.

And as I mentioned yesterday when I came up with this brilliant idea.....our back bays and creeks have a vastly wider range/swing that does the larger bodies of water near by. So we may actually be tossing in numbers like 80F+ as well as 30-F in the equation. THAT I want to start by looking at my local numbers before I do anything because I actually haven't a clue. Our fishing reports everyday record at the inlets, and they have zero to do with what's under my docks for example.

Even water levels.....tides.....and flow will be tough. There's 8 hrs a day when there'll be a habitat that ranges from high and dry to 4' of water. Snails seem to have a marked indifference to being wet of dry. Crabs....ehhh, they prefer being wet, with perhaps the Horseshoe Crabs being on the border with wet or dry.....minnows....all depends on what's chasing them......I see them left dry except for wet mud for hours as people leave their traps in the water/NO WATER. 'FLOW' as far as what we typically call circulation doesn't come into play.......when it's RUNNING, the current does honk, so a single direction of flow would be cool.

Just a whole big bunch of interesting things to look at.....keeps the hobby fresh.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,523 Posts
Yes what Steve done isn’t for the average reef keeper. I thought you would like it. The livestock in his tank where amazing. I’m surprised I remember his name after all these years. TRT is loaded with king forgotten threads.
I will be following your daily update and pictures Hack.

·
Administrator
49,436 Posts
I remember a series of threads re: Tidal Tanks, and various ways of simulating tidal distance. One method was a "Something Surge tank " but name escapes me at the moment. From the tanks I have seen or researched that is most difficult to pull off, most of the mechanisms to do it were much larger than the display. Here on the PNW caost/Puget sound region water is cold hence chillers, but we have a lot of interesting marine life here and a lot of it is easy to collect.

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah Doug, the waters on the Pacific coast are cold compared to my shore line.......our waters come from the South and yours from the North.
It surprises me the little looking that I have done so far, the vast majority, if not all that I see on this subject arrises from your side of the country? Including fish and corals/vegetation.

There are almost endless biotopes when you glance at the ocean, shore and tributaries, and equally seemingly impossible to squeeze into one mold.

I need to do some looking around, taking notes, and decide which interest me. Taking my trusty thermometer to work with me today, and start doing some research.
Hack

·
Registered
828 Posts
When I was a kid my buddies Dad had a house on the bay in Stone Harbor. He would fill the 30 gallon with water from the dock. He didn't have a heater so it was just room temperature in the house. He would put cool seaweed and stuff he found in there. Had a little puffer, minnows etc that were caught off the dock. Long time ago but I remember helping him carry milk jugs of water from the dock up to the house.

Was just at Corson's inlet yesterday with my wife and daughter in the back bay area. Lots of hermit crabs walking around in 3 feet of water. I was explaining to the wife that those hermit crabs would probably eat everything in a reef tank!

But I like this idea. Think of the electric you will save not running a heater?!

Reactions: hackshobby and VWD

·
Administrator
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just around the corner from me today then there in Somerspoint.

At that 'kid on Christmas Eve' point now Cooter with this new thought. Won't replace my coral fragging hobby, but excited about ALL THE MAD EXPERIMENTS going through my head.

One thought that did cross my mind would be a separate 'building' for this utilizing ambient temperature, since that's what i'll be messing with.
Unlike the deep sea, or the left coast over there by Doug, 'COLD WATER' is an erroneous term that has stuck with everything 'local'.
Measured water temp mid day in one of my little creeks, 81.5F at 2' with a mid 80's-sunny kinda day. And that's not even a 'heat wave'.

Watching the smaller minnows splashing in the shallows, and then seemingly thinking nothing of it push right up onto the muddy banks slithering along till the next trail of water lead em back out. The Fiddler Crabs scurrying along the banks, darting into their little holes in the mud for safety and a good 'moisturizing.

Felt guilty, though it was a slow day luligagging around 'site seeing'.

Hack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts