The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently keeping mostly softies along with a couple lps and a nem.

Current inhabitants are:
Green star polyps
Assorted blue & red mushrooms
A few hairy mushrooms
Yellow button polyps
Assorted zoos
Xenia
1 toadstool leather
1 open brain coral
1 frogspawn

I was curious if I would be able to throw in some more stony corals and work towards having a few carefully selected sps species.
My question is that with my current setup going well, would I be safe from chemical warfare starting up if I threw in some more stonies? If so what should I work towards in the stony department?
I don't plan on many more softies, just maybe a few more shrooms and definitely adding good zoas as they come around.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I also have softies and some LPS. I run carbon to keep the warfare undercheck, and all seems fine. A lot depends on your lights and water quality. I have tried a varity of sps frags and right now have great growth and color on birdsnest and a green slimer. For me the hang up is the lights, not the soft corals. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my lighting is sufficient, I'm running 6 54w t5ho 48" fixture with 3 actinics and 3 10,000k which will all soon be replaced with ati blue+ and ati actinics. Also, I'd like to stay away from running carbon as I don't want to buy any more filtration, that is unless I could just throw carbon in my sump once in a while, would that be enough? Current rerun pump is mag24 with koralia 2(x2) & koralia 4 powerheads in the display along with a Kent nautilus skimmer in my sump. Skimmer collects about a cup of dry skimmers per week unless I'm home a lot and able to wet skim(then I'm usually at 4-5 cups of skimmate per week).

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Waterchanges, the skimmer and occasional carbon usage will be more than enough to keep everything in check.

The bigger problem that you will have is keeping them all separated. The spreading soft corals tend to overtake and kill the SPS if not routinely pruned back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts