The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I have seen the stockman design and durso standpipes. I have tried both and the design of both seem rather simple.

They dont quiet my overflow at all. Absolutely no difference from just having two holes in the bottom of the overflow.

I believe the problem is my overflow is draining at less then full capacity... thus causing splashing in the pipes...

my overflow is supposedly rated for 1400 gph and my pump is pushing up probably around 1000 or slightly less.

Is adding a second pump to force the overflow to run at full capacity the only way I can lose the niagara falls noise in my living room?

Help appreciated!

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Is yours a hang on or in the tank overflow? Using "U" tubes? Need more info :confused:

I have "diy" overflows and don't use the durso/stockman's, but instead I have an air line tubing stuck down the drain just until it stops girggling and it's held in place by a clothes pin. As water is draining, it takes air wirh it, this air line releves that air or allows it to "breathe" - the best explaination I could come up with. And I have a ball valve just below that drain :D

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I drilled a small hole at the top of J tube. I used a power head attachement to shove into the hole (no air escapes) and then use an airline to connect to my air intake on my power head. it continously sucks the air out.

Ray

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah, its a hang on overflow. The design is a weir type... with 1" pvc used for the stockman system and 1" pvc draining out the bottom of the overflow box.

this morning I believe I found the answer. On impulse I shoved a 3/4inch hose fitting into the 90 degree elbow on the bottom of the overflow pipe in the sump... this caused the water to back up into the pipes a bit, causing the water level in the overflow box to rise about 1.5inches... however, the overflow is still keeping up with the pump so its all good...

now, the noise is almost gone. I may have to add a ball valve as well to let me fine tune the diameter of the pipe.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
exactly what i was going to suggest.. either changing the size of the pipe, or adding a ball or gate valve to regulate the flow.

i use stockman as well, on a u tube type external and dont have a sound.

sounds like you are using a cpr type but it should work just the same for quieting the noise.

sounds like you fixed it.. good to hear...well..umm.. good to not here, i guess :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.