The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 6 or 8 frags and am having a devil of a time getting them to stay on the rocks. My rock doesn’t have large enough holes to push the post of the frag plug in. I nipped off the post of the plug and in some cases the coral frag dislodged from the plug completely.

I have been checking on them daily and a few keep falling out. I try am wedge them back in. Is there any solution to this?

For reference the worst offenders are a frog spawn and a hammer.

I have gel glue. Will that work under water? I was hesitant to glue them in case I want to move them for better light in the future. Any input would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,737 Posts
Take them off the plugs and use super glue gel to attach . Tap the base fry add a good amount of glue and hold in place until it sets.
Are you using a coral dip on the frags before placing them in the tank. It’s a good habit to get into.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have coral dip. I should get some in.

Am I taking the rock out of the tank or am I applying the glue then gluing it underwater?

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,939 Posts
Personally, frogspawns and hammers I like finding a good soild base to glue to. Not a plug.
In general im a big fan of super glue and LR instead of plugs.

If you're like me and freaking can't stand the look of frag racks, you can try these things. I've seen several that don't look horrible. Magnetic Reef Coral Frag Rack Floating Rock Strong Magnets Strong N52 Magnets for 1/2" Glass https://a.co/d/a2HatSN

If anything the frag racks just make life easier. Throw a couple hermits in their when the frags need cleaning. They need a nice clean surface for new growth. Idk about you, I dont stick to slimy rock to well, even with glue.

Like Vince said, take the free chance on a dip. Prevention is far easier, less time consuming, and cheaper. Needless to say, it's healthier and less harmful in most cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts