The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive noticed that my LR seems to get dirty with debris from the tank after a WC and just stays there until i clean it or take a syringe and clean it, Ive got about 50lbs in my 65g, but being the neat freak that i am, I want it clean all the time!! Ive got snails, hermits etc in there as well. Should i add a star to help knock debris off as he scavengers for food, or can someone advise me of a good LR cleaner?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have two Karolia(sp?) ph, plenty for that tank, I've got no problem with the flow it's just the crap just settles on my LR!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I know, but I'm thinking the sand sifting goby I've got might be the culprit of allowing this sand to stirred up, I like that he keeps the sand clean so can't really complain, so if I got more snails maybe? Starfish?

·
Tim
707 Posts
I agree, more flow would help a lot more. Also, turkey baste your rocks on a regular basis.

I have a little over 4,000 GPH of flow in my 110 gallon display tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A spare powerhead can be used to blast it off before waterchanges.
I have the same problem, no matter how much flow due to my rock work there are a few spots detritus settles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I'm pretty good at feeding efficiently, it's the sand goby stirring up the sand!!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
You need more than flow. Flow will get the particulates up into the water column, but then you need some way to remove them. Are you running filter socks, or some other form of mechanical filter?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I run a filter sock as well as carbon n ROWA, it looks good now I just think its my Goby is moving sand around a lot

·
Registered
190 Posts
More flow...I broke down and got an Echo Tech Vor Tech MP 40 for my 120. Best money I spent for the tank. I keep it in nutrient transport mode and the detritus that doesn't get pulled out by the skimmer settles in the sump for easy siphoning. I turkey baste the rock once a month and get very little detritus on rock. No more hair algae or cyano either. My rock is on a lift though so I have a lot of flow under the rock too. If your rock is on the sand you'd most likely need more then 1 vor tech. I wish they weren't so pricey!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya I just can't wrap my head around spending that much $$ on them

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Flow is a big part of the problem. I wouldn't necessarily say overfeeding is an issue...you may have hit on part of the problem a few times when you mentioned the sand sifting goby. He isn't keeping the sand clean at all. In fact, he is making it more dirty. What they are sifting for is the organisms that live in the sand and whose job it is to break down extra food, poo, and other forms of detrius. The goby won't eat this poo and detrius, just the creatures that do eat it. This means this junk isn't being broken down as efficiently into a form that can be easily released into the water column for removal via the protein skimmer, etc. Instead, it is rotting in the sand bed and releasing nutrients to the water column in a form that can be immediately used by algae, etc. These organisms also live in the LR and serve the same purpose. If the population as a whole in the tank is dropping, or gone, due to the goby, then detrius collects more easily. The sand may look cleaner because it is being turned over more often, but that is also allowing left over food and poo to get deeper in the sand bed to rot on its own.
Increased flow will help as will using a turkey baster or powerhead to blow out the rocks. I hate to say it, but more manual cleaning is your best bet.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Oh...also didn't mention that in the wild most sand sifting gobies will have multiple "holes" and each hole will support about a 6 ft square section of sand. One fish will rely on this much territory (3-5 holes, each with about 6 square feet of sand) to feed itself and thrive. If the goby doesn't make the change to frozen food or pellet food, it will likely starve. I had one in a 175g reef with about a 2-3" sand bed (about 2 years old, so very mature and full of life) and it emptied the sand bed in about a week and slowly wasted away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts