The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a question for you all. After i put my new light up, the temp in my tank rose to 80 from 77. so now im trying to figure out a way to keep it a little cooler. Im thinking that a fan would help, but not sure where to put it or which way to run it. on the sump blowing in or out, or on top of the tank in between the tank and the light blowing in or out? which do you think would be the best solution. i need to figure out something because my room is getting stuffy for me too. this lovely little heat wave that we are having isnt helping any

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started with one in the sump to hid it and then this summer I needed more eveperation so I found a slick clip on that didn't look too bad and put it on the top of the tank blowing across the top of the water between the light and the top of the water. My light kit is the coralife hanging varity with the open tank. So the fan just looks like it belongs there.

If you can get air flowing across the lights it will help more than just in the sump.

HTH
George

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Some people run their tanks at 80 so at this point it's not something to stress over. The fan will work to drop the temp tho. IMO if you stay at 80 things will be fine I wouldn't worry till it gets over 82.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I agree with jenajet 80 isn't anything to worry about. Mine stays right around 80 all summer. I went down to cvs and bought one of those little turbo fans. They run about 20 bucks sits on the floor(cool are sinks) and aimed it for my mh fan and it really helps. I also keep a few 2 liter bottles of frozen water in my freezer. If for some reason it starts to rise over 80 I just place one of them in the sump and that will SLOWLY lower the temp.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts