The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have another question. I have a 90 gallon reef tank thats been setup for only about four months now. I have my corals and fish and so far everything is good. My question is, why do people use kalwasser and why does it make so much of a difference than using something like kents liquid calcuim supplements. All kalkwasser does is add calcuim to the water, so why is it such a big thing and regular supplements arnt? My tank has a constant 8.4 ph and a changing 440-500 calcuim. I dont even dose my tank with kents liquid cal anymore cuz my tank always has calcuim already in it I hear all the time tgat dosing a reef tank is pointless if you have a quality salt mix. I have instant ocean reef crystals. It Says it raise cal/mag and other trace elements and keep a stable ph. Why use kalkwrasser when i have an all in one reef salt mix that has all the essential elements? And one last thing, im trying my second attempt at keeping sps, an acropora, and i heard someone say that their sps kept dieing until they used kalkwrasser. Pleaase help me with this im really confused.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
I started using Kalk, just because I use regular Instant Ocean Salt mix, and I'm getting a little Ca and Alk demand now that water changes can barely keep up, so the IO salt + Kalk = Reef Crystals basically, and IMO I can get Kalk cheaper then I can get Reef Crystals, and I have more control over my Alk and Ca...

its all preference, but if Reef Crystals will do it for your corals alone, then keep it up, no sense changing things up and hurting your tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts