The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about dosing kalkwasser also known as pickling lime, but was wondering how often I should dose. Should I only dose a day or two out of a week when my calcium is low or will it hurt my tank if I dose on and off.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
You typically dose daily, normally small volumes early in the morning. The trick with Kalk, it is more for maintaining Ca rather than increasing it. You really can't bump low Ca with Kalk. You are limited the the amount of Kalk you can add in a given time due to the pH swing and the precipitation. Thus small daily dosages are standard operating procedure unless you do not have as much demand to require that level of additional Ca

What is you Salinity, Ca, and Alk?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calcium read 380ppm and alkalinity read 12dkh and my salinity is at 1.025 I currently do water changes every week on friday.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I use between a half gallon and a gallon per day, as my top off on 150 gallon system, works just fine. If my evaporation goes above that, I use plain RODI..You can do it manually, or set an ATO. I think consistentcy is the key

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Your Ca is not really low... you Alk is high so that might be suppressing the Ca a bit but nothing major. Are you using Instant Ocean? Just curious.

Only if you are seeing chronic low Ca of less than 340 would I worry about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using plain instant ocean salt thought about doing reef crystals but not sure yet might just stick with this salt and dose calcium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts