The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this question on another forum and was wondering if anyone here has any experience, either good or bad with kalkwasser's. When does someone know if and when they need to add one?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Love the stuff...I dose it 24/7...maintaints Ca/Alk/PH, helps bind phosphate...I could go on and on...IMO/IME the only down side is if you where to overdose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought dosing 24/7 wasn't a good thing? i have also been told that you should only dose at nite when the lights are off ... never quite did figure that one out ... what is the purpose of that?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
i thought dosing 24/7 wasn't a good thing? i have also been told that you should only dose at nite when the lights are off ... never quite did figure that one out ... what is the purpose of that?
The idea of dosing at night is that it keeps the PH from dropping when the lights are out...I don't see any problem with dosing 24/7 or at night, which ever works for you, I've done it both ways.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I agree. Kalk is good when used with an ATO setup. Good stuff. LOL Go to Krogers and buy Mrs. Wages pickling Lime it is Kalk cheap and pure. Save $$$$

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I have been dosing full strength Kalk 24/7 from as far back as I can remember. I wouldn't run a reef without it. There is nothing in kalk that builds up in the system like there is with 2 part. It is perfectly safe to dose 24/7, and a good idea in my opinion. Just keep an eye on your parameters until you get a feel for how much kalk your system needs.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
fwiw, I like dosing kalk with my topoff water like others and also like to use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium. I've read that there are different types of calcium and it's a good thing to provide your corals with different types. That means don't rely on JUST kalk for calcification.

Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong :D

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
i have been wondering about this for a while. what are the recommended dosing procedures and how do you determine how much to add to your top off water ?? i go through about 6-8 gallons of top off water every day, and have an SPS tank (with a few Aussie Acans and Chalices). can you guys point me in the right direction to get this going ??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Kalk is one of those fun things in reefing that should have it's own temple. In short the best way to determine your needs is to test both Alk and Calcium.. once then 24 hrs later do it again to see where your parameters go. Some people do this for a week because they want to account for water changes, additives they use, etc. Others test without all that to see what their reefs use without it all.

Once you determine what your reef needs, then you can go about determining strength. There are limiting factors to kalkwasser.. and I'd point you to an article but reef central is down ATM. When it's back up look in the chemistry forum for "Limits of Kalkwasser" (I think)

I also suggest reading the other articles on kalkwasser like "What your Grandmother never told you about Kalkwasser".

What I can tell you in short is that you can do more than 2 tablespoons of Kalk per gallon... it'll just precipitate out of solution. You can use vinegar (Another article to read) to boost calcium additions (also used to lower pH).

Again I highly recommend reading these articles... great edumacation :lol:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a litermeter3 to feed RO water through a Precision Marine kalk reactor. The LM3 is pricey but worth every penny. Easy to use, reliable and you can precisely dial in dosage amounts. I used to have the LM3 on a reverse light schedule but now run it 24/7. I had low pH issues because my sump is in my basement so I wanted a higher pH all the time. However, since upgrading my skimmer, my pH seems to be higher and I may experiment with going back to a reverse light schedule.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I forgot to mention.. I have used Kalk Reactor and Mixed-container using an SP-3000 doser. Good price for the unit (Think it was about 80 bucks when I got mine), and in conjunction with a float switch and this time I'll be adding a relay (To avoid accidents) plus I'm going back to mixed container (Another article to read is Self-Purification of Kalkwasser)... set up is easy, cheap to do, and very effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a guy tell me this once upon a time, don't know whether to believe it or not ... see what you think!

Quote "Kalkwasser will raise your calcium levels, and it will help to maintain your alkalinity. It will not significantly raise your alkalinity. If pH is low then it will have to be adjusted. If there is a low dKH it is very possible the pH is also low. A lot of coraline or growing stoney corals you do not need a high calcium level. However a higher alkalinity is pretty much a must. pH must be adjusted first to make sure you do not have an ionic imbalance. Avoid calcium chloride at this point as things are very susceptible to an ionic imbalance possibly, depending on the pH and how it responds to adjustment if needed. There is a reason for a low alkalinity and a low calcium, usually it is one or the other not both.Coraline can use significantly large amounts of calcium when it is available. Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium is a product I have not really wanted to try. It goes against what nearly all other manafacturers areproducing and experts are recommending. It is supposed to build and maintain calcium and then is also is suppose to supply magnesium and stronium. Tanks do reef tank inhabitants do not utilize these elements in equal proportions normally. That is why most manafacturers supply two part preparations. One for calcium and one for alkalinity. I like most Seachem products but I would not recommend the use of Reef Advantage or Reef Complete. I would recommend check your pH at mid light cycle before doing any supplementation, as well I do not recommend the use of calcium chloride until anyone has a full undertanding of the chemistry of calcium and calcium buffers in sea water. There are good charts but the chemical equations often shown in many write ups are, to say the least , not much help to non chemistry people".

·
Registered
310 Posts
Limewater is a balanced additive just like 2part. Which means it delivers calcium and alkalinity in the same ratio as its consumed by calcification, but not necessarily at the same rate. Also, ist not the best thing to try and _raise_ your cal and alk levels with limewater because it has such a strong effect on pH.

So in essence the first sentance is a mixture of fact and fiction.

Depending on what you have in your tank you may be able to maintain your cal and alk with limewater alone.

If not, you will have to also use a 2 part additive or a calcium reactor.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I had a guy tell me this once upon a time, don't know whether to believe it or not ... see what you think!

Quote "Kalkwasser will raise your calcium levels, and it will help to maintain your alkalinity. It will not significantly raise your alkalinity. If pH is low then it will have to be adjusted. If there is a low dKH it is very possible the pH is also low. A lot of coraline or growing stoney corals you do not need a high calcium level. However a higher alkalinity is pretty much a must. pH must be adjusted first to make sure you do not have an ionic imbalance. Avoid calcium chloride at this point as things are very susceptible to an ionic imbalance possibly, depending on the pH and how it responds to adjustment if needed. There is a reason for a low alkalinity and a low calcium, usually it is one or the other not both.Coraline can use significantly large amounts of calcium when it is available. Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium is a product I have not really wanted to try. It goes against what nearly all other manafacturers areproducing and experts are recommending. It is supposed to build and maintain calcium and then is also is suppose to supply magnesium and stronium. Tanks do reef tank inhabitants do not utilize these elements in equal proportions normally. That is why most manafacturers supply two part preparations. One for calcium and one for alkalinity. I like most Seachem products but I would not recommend the use of Reef Advantage or Reef Complete. I would recommend check your pH at mid light cycle before doing any supplementation, as well I do not recommend the use of calcium chloride until anyone has a full undertanding of the chemistry of calcium and calcium buffers in sea water. There are good charts but the chemical equations often shown in many write ups are, to say the least , not much help to non chemistry people".

I dose Kalk 24/7 and nothing else...My Ca is stable at 400-420...my Alk is stable at 9-10DKH...and my PH is stable at 8.2-8.3 any time of the night or day...IME Kalk is one of the few true "miracle" products. OK miracle is a little strong maybe, but it's cheap, it's simple, it does what it's suppose to and, to my knowledge, has no negative side effects when dosed appropriately. Many folks with SPS/high Ca demand systems also dose additional Ca since Kalk can only do so much. If your demand is very high you will need something in addition to Kalk.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I have a (probably dumb) question. If I dose reef calcium and ALK buffer when needed, do i need to be using Kalk also?
It's a choice...I prefer Kalk and my system has a low demand for Ca so I don't have to dose anything else.

There is some belief that dosing 2 part over time builds up some undesirable elements in you tank that dosing Kalk does not.

IMO Kalk has some desirable side effects too(bind Phosphate, boosting/maintaining PH, etc.) and for me it's easier and cheaper. I can get a 6 month supply of pickling lime for ~$5 (I can almost always find it on sale for $1-$2 a can) and in my case I just have to mix it and add it to my Kalk dosing system every 5 days or so. I think it also keeps my levels more stable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts