The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really want to start using kalkwasser but that whole drip IV bottle kinda turns be off to it, it will just make the room look messy and hospital like.
so does anyone here dose with kalk not using the drip method??

p.s i dont have a sump on either tank
tanks are 55 gallons and a 10g

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
or you can strategically place it.

In a near by cabinet? Or under the stand (if it's big enough), or even behind the tank. Just keep in mind you'll need to get to it every couple days.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Anyone have a DIY IV drip for it..... I just started to mix some up.
For the 29 Gallon, which looses about 1/2 a gallon of water a day, what would the drip rate be.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
under the cabinet? i thought a drip bottle had to be above the tank?
you mean i can place it under it??

yeah how many drops does it have to drip?? im kinda getting tired of topping off two tanks daily. i pretty much go through a gallon a day between the two tanks

with that drip device how does the drip end work, does it have a clip or something so it wont fall off the tank??

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Pastina, check out my tank build thread. I made a gravity fed drip for kalk using a rubermaid container, a few john guest fittings, and 1/4 inch od tubing. Total cost was like $12. Oh, and some silicone would help as well, but I already had that. The end of the tubing is just suspended over the water, mine is rubber banded to a drain pipe. The tubing is just open and , yes, it just drips into the water. The valve on the john guest fitting is used to control the rate of the drip. Everyone has a different evaporation rate so I can't tell you how many drips per minute you need, you'll have to experiment to find out. On my 30 gal tank, it drips about every 2-3 seconds. You will have to flush the tubing once a week and clean off the calcium deposits at the tip of the tubing to keep the flow the same.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
I spent 5 bucks on my drip system, used 5 gallon salt bucket, silicone tubing, zip tie one end to a magnet, then set it into the bucket and clip the line to the magnet so the line doesn't touch the bottom (so you don't get the high ph kalk) then get a plastic IV doser (see below) and set it to the desired drip rate. For that small of tank I would drip 1 drip per 1-2 seconds, watch your ph and adjust to taste.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dosing-Tubing-Flow-Valve-Clamp-Type_W0QQitemZ250001261159QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I add Kalk with my auto top off. It is air driven and adds approx 3/4 to 1 gal a day. It never seems to hurt my tank with adding it that way I could slow the air intake down and have it drip at a slower rate but I have my pump run for 5 mins and it adds the one gal with Kalk to the sump.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John, yeah thats the one, the kent IV thingy
now when kalk is mixed do i fill the liquid part only in the IV dripper leaving the bottom residue behind???
cause it seems like it drips from the bottom which would mean it would drip the bad part of the kalk??

all these gadgets :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I mix my kalk in a 1 gal bucket then let it sit over night to settle. Then I pour the water out leaving the residue behind. The Kent drip it is like what I made except, its not gravity fed mine pushes air into the tank and forces the water out, because I dont have any place to put it above my tank ot sump.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74832

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
abigtroutt said:
I mix my kalk in a 1 gal bucket then let it sit over night to settle. Then I pour the water out leaving the residue behind. The Kent drip it is like what I made except, its not gravity fed mine pushes air into the tank and forces the water out, because I dont have any place to put it above my tank ot sump.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74832
And a good idea I might add.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dang good invention :D :funny:

ok math question again lol
1400ml equals how many gallons???

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
15 drops=1 Ml

The prefix "milli" means 1/1000, so 1 milliliter = 0.001 liters. Alternatively, there are 1000 milliliters in a liter. One milliliter = 0.0338 fluid ounces. Also known as a cubic centimeter because a cube 1 cm on each side has a volume of 1 ml. Because water has a density of 1.0, one ml of water weighs 1 gram.

1 liter is the volume of a cube that is 10 cm (1 decimeter) on each side. There are 10 deciliters = 1,000 milliliters = 1,000 cubic centimeters = 1.057 quarts = 33.814 ounces in a liter. Because water has a density of 1.0, one liter of water weighs 1,000 grams = 1 kilogram.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thnx :funny:

so its less than a half gallon??
just wanna make sure i get the right size
they have (kent aquadose) 1400ml, 2.5 gallons and a 5 gallons size

1 - 20 of 26 Posts