The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you use Kalkwasser? I read that you should stop use for a time then start back up again. What are some effects from useing too long and what do you do during the break? And for what amount of time do you use for before the break and how long of a break do you take?:doh: :confused: :freak:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I drip 24/7 and have been for about 2 years. I have never heard about taking a break. The only thing you should do is take the time to clean your pumps, as the Ca buildup can cause problems.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
what is the best drip system to buy??/.does anyone have any websites to look at....thats the daily topp of??/ a slow drip with the calcium supplement?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe, I love your tank !!!! How much water do you loose a day? I made my auto top off but with a 210 gal tank a 5 gal auto top off may be to small. Do you have room above the tank or do you need to put it below?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I made mine from a 5 gallon IO bucket and a couple of John Guest fittings, cost about 5 bucks. My buddy gave me an IV drip from the hospital and away I went. I don't use mine for all my topoff. It being summer, I am evaporating 8-9 gallons a day as it is.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
it is really cold in my basement probably around 68 degrees....my tank stay with my hilides and atinics on 79-81 It will evaporate around 5-6 gallons per day from what I can tell...Thanks for the compliments...this is our first big tank and boy...alot of work...how does the kalkwasser work on the drop system....do you just put the additive in and mix it like the bottle says and let it drip all the time?

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's about the size of it. I go thru 4 gallons of kalk every day and half to 2 days. Let it drip slowly at first, you definitly don't want to OD on kalk, it's ph is about 13.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
abigtroutt said:
How long do you use Kalkwasser? I read that you should stop use for a time then start back up again. What are some effects from useing too long and what do you do during the break? And for what amount of time do you use for before the break and how long of a break do you take?
You should use kalkwasser 24/7, running it into the tank at a rate that will balance evaporative losses using the clear supernatant part of the suspension. Look up/google neilssen reactors for a good means of using kalk. The photo here is a softie system with about 4 years of continuous use at the time of the photo:

This system was set up primarily as mixed species tank with mostly lagoonal conditions; only about 30% stonies and most of them were LPS types, the rest were octocorals, zoanthids, and corallimorphs.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Hendersonracing said:
how long should you wait on a new tank to use kalk
If you have organisms that use calcium in your system, then once the tank has cycled and is stable, you can start the kalk drip.

I have in the past used a large reservoir (7 gal bucket) with a pwerhead (maxijet 400) mounted so the intake is above the bottom at about 2 to 3 cm and the outlet attached to a flexible vinyl hose and routed to a high flow rea of the sump. The powerhead is plugged into a float switch, with the switch mounted in the sump to cut on when the level in the sump drops. The outlet for the hose/kalkwasser is attached to a length of 1" PVC with the base slotted to allow for dilution of the kalkwasser, yet providing a vacuum break at the top of the PVC pipe so the hose will not siphon the entire contents of the kalkwasser reservoir into the sump once the pump cuts off. Dump fresh kalkwasser into the reservoir every 3 to 4 days, preparing it freshly in a separate bucket and allowing it to settle for 6 hours prior to pouring off the clear solution into the top off reservoir.

Some folks just refill the water in the reservoir and dump the powdered lime into the reservoir, but I don't think that is necessarily the safest thing to do for your system.

HTH

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
tims said:
joe how long has yoru tank been running? are all other levels pretty normal now?
up 14 days now....

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5
ph 8.3

Im still trying to figure out how to read the alkalinity and calcium...but from the looks of the reading I think they are pretty close....

what do you think?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I try to keep my alk and ca levels as close as possible to natural seawater levels, works for me.
If it were me, I would keep an eye on my levels for another couple of weeks before I started to add anything. JMHO

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
charlie said:
...If it were me, I would keep an eye on my levels for another couple of weeks before I started to add anything. JMHO
Ditto.

Where you utimately want your Ca and alk will depend on what hermatypic organisms you plan to keep and how many. For what hobbyists call SPS (and if you have more than a single Tridacnid clam), then you may want to consider shooting for Ca+=400 PPM and alk = 10 to 12 dKH in a tank of salinity = 35 PPT and of proportional conservative element ratios. This will be especially true if you use 2 part additives, as you dose in pulses rather than keep the levels up with a constant infusion, and the left over sodium and chloride wilol begin to skew your conservative proportions over time unless you perform regular water changes. Heavy hermatypic populations do better with consistant Ca and Alk levels , regardless of where you keep them (so long as the levels are in physiological WNL, but it is easiest to shoot for the aforementioned range for these types of biotopes).

What are your ultimate goals for this system in terms of biotope and populations?

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Nyles said:
Pickling lime at the store is the same thing BTW
And much more reasonably priced!! I bought a pound of Mrs. Wages at my local grocery for less than $4, I don't even want to know what Kent costs :eek: I drip Kalk 24/7 via a 5 gal bucket and a single container of wages will last almost a year.

I like using Kalk for the Consistency aspect, I also use 2 part but only every few days or so just to bump the levels a little. The Kalk keeps up OK, but my tank is pretty demanding on my Ca/Alk....I honestly don't test my parameters as much as others do, I watch my corals for indications and keep up on weekly WC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts