The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for a very good and easy way to drip Kalk.

I tried mixing it in a 10 gallon rubbermaid then letting it sit then take the clear liquid to a aquadoser (PITA), constatnly clogged.

Without spending a fortune for a Kalk reactor and pumps, does anyone have a good system?

I would buy a Kalk reactor if there is a good one out there that works well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you're willing to buy a good reactor, try Greg at Reef Mania. Great craftsmanship and he's a sponsor.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would buy one If was a complete kit with dosing pump with explicit instructions to figure out.

I got a skimmer that I bought that doesn't have good instructions and doesn't work that well that was supposed to be a good one.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MyReef MR-1

·
Ron C.
70 Posts
I agree 100% about Reefmania. Just got my Kalk reactor from them - excelent quality and simple design. Greg will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about setup.

My setup is super simple - 10 gallon top-off tank with a maxi-jet pump in the tank, the pump is plumbed to the intake of the Kalk reactor, the output goes to my sump. The pump is pluggged into a float switch so evaparation is replaced with Kalk laced top-off water! I do throttle the pump way back so the Kalk water is added slowly.

Unfortunately, a lot of the custom equipment makers assume you know how to operate the product.

Ron

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a bad plan. I would be affraid of the float switch sticking anad dumping in all of the topoff resevior though. Flood.

·
Ron C.
70 Posts
Rob

You are absolutely right, you do have to be careful. Fortunately my sump is large enough that flodding is not a problem, I make sure that if all the top-off water went into the sump and then the power went out, I'd still have room. I went through enough floods when I was in the hobby years ago. Now that I'm back, that was one of the first things I addressed. I also check and clean my float switch regularly - even thought about a shut-off float switch.

Ron

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My top off right now is the following.

I have a 15 gallon rubbermaid that I fill every 2 weeks.

I have a timer that comes on twice a day for a minute each time that connects to a powerhead that is controlled by a float switch.

This was, if the tank dosen't need water it wont get any and if the flaot switch would to stick on, the pump can only put in about a gallon for the minutes time that it is on.

·
Ron C.
70 Posts
That's a great setup.

I think it would work well with one of Reefmanias reactors, just cut your hose or pvc and put it in between - I'm sure Greg can use whatever type of connection you would need. It comes with a Hanna magnetic stirrer so all you have to do is put in the Kalk powder every so often depending on your needs.

Ron

P.S. I really don't get paid by Reefmania :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm new to all this Kalkwasser thing!
Getting back to "Rob_Reef_Keeper" Original question does anyone have a good way to drip kalk?
The Kalk reactor sounds like it would be good if you had a large tank with a lot of evaporation! But what would you do with smaller tanks?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Doug - currently all I use is a 1000ml IV set up and drip 1 drop Kalk per 6 seconds at night. This seems to be a good set up for my system. I will be purchasing a Reef Mania set up in the future.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I though adding alot of kalk at once is a bad thing. If I add one gallon of kalk mixed water in a minute, what would happen?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rob_Reef_Keeper said:
I got a skimmer that I bought that doesn't have good instructions and doesn't work that well that was supposed to be a good one.
PM me and I can try to help with your MyReef Creations skimmer - I have one too. Also, just give Andy a call he is always extremely helpful on the phone and willing to talk me through any problems I am having.

In terms of dripping Kalkwasser you may also consider looking at a medical supply store for a slow drip IV that you can set up - a lot of online fish supply places sell similar things but charge the typical "hobbyist markup" (currently about 30% :funny: ).

HTH

K.M.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the slow drip IV. IS this the same thing that is on the Kent Aqua doser.

Is it a tube that goes to a little plastic chamber to see the drip rate then to tubing that you can throttle the drip rate by moving a plastic clip (wheel) to pinch the tubing closed?

Thats what I have that always clogs. But then again the Kent Aquadoser drips from the bottom of the container.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I may be stupid but what is the Reefmania reactor yall were talking about. And one other question, from what I understand, a Kalk Reactor is different than a Calcium reactor. Is both needed on a reef tank or is one better than the other. ?

Ray

·
Ron C.
70 Posts
Hey Ray,

Yeah, they are different and I'm far from an expert but I'll give you the real basics.

The calcium reactor uses and arganite media which when water alone is run through it does not do a much more than if it were sitting in your tank. But when you add CO2 and lower the PH in the reaction chamber, the argonite begins to disolve and releases all the good stuff - calcium,mag., stont. etc. The draw back is that it may tend to lower your tank Ph also. The Kalk reactor uses Kalkwasser, obviously, and also adds calcium carbonate but tends to buffer the PH and keep it at a higher level, thats why most people add it at night and many people including myself, run both systems.

I'm sure someone with a better chemistry back ground can chime in - Mr. tdwyatt, are you out there :)

Ron

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rob_Reef_Keeper said:
On the slow drip IV. IS this the same thing that is on the Kent Aqua doser.

Is it a tube that goes to a little plastic chamber to see the drip rate then to tubing that you can throttle the drip rate by moving a plastic clip (wheel) to pinch the tubing closed?

Thats what I have that always clogs. But then again the Kent Aquadoser drips from the bottom of the container.
Yes, same idea. But if you can get one that has a trap at the bottom and the drip tube not entirely from the bottom then it'll help with the stuff that separates out in Kalkwasser. Unfortunately, I am not dripping Kalkwasser (only using a Calcium reactor) so I'm at the end of my knowledge on this subject :)

I sent you a PM on the MR-1.

K.M.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts