The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You have to becareful how much you use Monkey. I used one of the injectors that come with a Salifert test kit. It doesnt take much, if its aiptasia just shove the end of the injector into mouth and give it a little blast, as soon as you can see the kalk spilling out stop. Just do 2 or maybe 3 a day.

Mike

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Since I'm a diabetic I use one of my needles and pull the tip off and mix my kalk with some of my tank water to a toothpaste type thickness and squirt some right into the mouth and they start disintergrating right before your eyes!
I have found peppermint shrimp and copperband butterfly to be the more natural way of doing it as well. Peppermint shrimp are by far the preferred method!:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to do it the natural way but the way of nature prevents me from doing that. I tried getting a peppermint once and in horror watched as my Little snowflake had its most expensive dinner ever.:( So there for I need to look into other ways of killing them.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I understand completely as I had a puffer in my tank but decided to return the fish to the LFS and got the peppermint shrimp to do a job I know had to be done. They would have babysitted the puffer til I was ready but for other reasons I decided to let them keep the puffer and in exchange my wife got a christmas tree worm LR for her mini-reef tank!:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I mix about a half cup of tank water wint about a tsp of pickling lime, then microwave for 30 seconds. I don't know if the heat does anything to the creatures I nuke, but it makes it more fun I think:D I inject directly into the stalk with a hypo till it spills out. only do a few a day.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info I will get to work at it soon. As for my eel if I could figure out how to get him out of the tank I would but he is extremely hard to get. I had him since he was 3" long and he is well over a foot now. But I would have no problems parting with him.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i think the heat does something as well, as i've heard of people that just use boiling water an no kalk or other additives.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Well I have onlyhad to do it a few times but I just mixed a smooth thick paste of kalk/pickling lime and injected it without heating first. I also squirted some extra over top of the remains and it's worked everytime. I did nuke it once and it seemed to make the paste a little smoother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.