The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just strated adding Kalk to my top off water that pumps back to my sump. Now on the bag it says to add slowly or drip. but I have my top off set at .75gals every 8 hours. With the kalk in the water would that be to fast?? Now my system is about 145G total. would that .75gs of kalk water hurt?
thanks
Reggie

·
Registered
706 Posts
3/4 of a gallon every 8 hours will be more than slow enough. I dose about 1.5 gallons in 2 hours, so its not that much faster. The reason that they tell you to slowly drip, is that it can give you really bad PH swings, you won't be putting enough in the water .75 out of 140 shouldn't do anything.

Some people dose as much as 5 gallons of lime water a day, so you should be fine.

Dave

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Thats more than slow enough Reggie. The problem with adding kalk water "fast", is that the kalk water has a high PH and by adding too much too quickly you will drive the PH of the system up. Also Kalk water (lime water) is caustic so it's hard on the tank inhabitants to add too much too fast. I use a auto topoff system that adds about 1-2 cups of kalk water at a time, about 3 gallons a day, every 30 - 45 minutes and I have not had any problems wuith it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

thanks and now I can go to sleep.
Reggie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts