The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy a Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620 this week and have a few ways that I could install it. The gravity and auto top off methods seem to dose based on evaporation and not calcium needs of tank. The dosing method seems to make the most sense, but requires a doser. I already have an auto top off system in place so you know what method I want to use.;)
Do I need to buy another $90 dosing gizmo or do most people use the auto top off method? Here are some method diagrams.
http://www.precisionreef.com/Kalk%20Setup%20Diagram.htm

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
The reason a lot of folks tell you not to plumb the kalkreactor into the RO/DI is that the pressure in the RO/DI will likely cause a leak somewhere in the reactor. One way to overcome this is by putting the reactor AFTER your solenoid/float switch controller. By doing this, the reactor does not become pressurized, and therefore you don't run the risk of a leak (for this reason, at least). Granted, if you have a mechanical float switch which releases the water (like the Kent float switch), this may not be an option. I've run the MyReefCreations kalkreactor after my solenoids for months without any problems.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dump my RO water into a 10gal tank that sits next to my sump. I have a small powerhead in the 10gal controlled by an electric float valve w/ a fail safe valve as well. Here's a sketch that a LFS did for me yesterday. The doser's description says to not have it "push" dosing but their own manual shows otherwise.
http://www.aqua-medic.de/en/service/pdfs/Dosierpumpe%20SP%203000%20_104.030_.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
what si the main difference between kalk and calcium reactors....what does everyone use???? which one first?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The CO2 in Ca reactors will lower your pH. Kalkwasser used in Kalk reactors has a pH of 12-13 and will raise your pH. Some people use both to counter act each other. I am be no means an expert but I do know that my system needs some type of supplimentation. You can drip kalk, get a kalk reactor or a Ca reactor. I'm trying to decide between dripping and a kalk reactor since my tank doesn't need enough Ca to warrant a Ca reactor. Dripping is cheap but requires maintenance. The kalk reactor is a little pricey but is more "automated"

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Its been a while since anyone's posted on this thread, but i think there might be some misinformation here. TrouserTrout, you are correct in the pH values that you are quoting, but a Calcium reactor actually has much more of an influence on dosing alkalinity, whereas kalkwasser will increase/maintain calcium. What i've found since adding my kalkwasser reactor is that the calcium levels stay around 490 ppm, but my alkalinity demand is depleting the carbonate faster than my water changes can resupply. Thus, i intend to add a calcium reactor, which will aid in the supplimentation of alkalinity to my tank, but for now am required to dose an alkalinity powder (SeaChem's Reef Builder is my drug of choice). Hope this helps.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
bump (as I'd like to come back and address this thread later, when I have more time).

But yes...there is some misleading info so far.

maybe someone can post more on this topic before I get back to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts