The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a 5 gallon change on my 46. I added 1 tsp of kalk with the salt, and left the pump to mix for two days. There was no thick stuff on the bottom, and I dumped it into the sump. I add kalk every 3 or 4 water changes. About 10 minutes after I added it, some of my LPS withdrew there polyps. I don't remember seeing this before, but the water tested out ok. Anyone else ever had this problem before? I am planning on getting a drip to add kalkwater, separate from my top off. Thanks for any replies. Mike:beer:

G

·
i am guessinfg the sudden rush got to them......i drip and always have dripped so i may be way off

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about a hour has passed, and only actinics are on....some of the polyps are starting to come back out....guess I should look into the drip. What do you add to a tank with LPS? I usually add CoralVite (never had anything negative happen) once a week, also Iodine, and Marine Max, both once a week. Other than that, I change 5 gallons every 3 weeks using Reef Crystal salt, which is supposed to have a higher Calcium level than other salts....

G

·
i add all the mocrovert, coralvite supplies once a week and i feed my fish daily mush..i know some of that stays in the water colom and the corals eat that otherwise just lots o light..slao watch the iodine....if used wrongly can be deadly go maybe 1 every 10 days to be safe,,i know it says once a week but id go every 10 to be sure...also if you do routine wc you dont need to dose iodine

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
FWIW the pH of Kalk is too high to add much at a time like you have been, a slow drip is better. Not familiar with Marine Max, but most of that stuff just isnt needed. If you do water changes on a regular basis and get the calcium/alk levels where they should be then you can drip kalk to maintain them. The rest of it may not harm but proving that it helps in an acceptable fashion is not documented so far.
Even with the high calc level in Reef Crystals, with LPS corals you prolly need a decent ca;c supplement regimen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.