The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been researching saltwater tanks for a very long time now and i think i know just about everything i need to start my tank. but when i started deciding on which fish to put in, i realized that i knew nearly nothing about these fish. i know that damsels, mollies, and clownfish are good beginnner fish and angels and butterflies are not. i came up with a list of fish that i would like in my tank but i have no idea if they will get along. the last thing i need is for my fish to be fighting.i also dont know whether or not these fish are easier to care for and how many i should be able to fit in a tank. i have a 30 gallon tank right now but if need be i can use my dads 40 gallon tankeven though i would rather not. Will some one please help me!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heres the fish i would like:

-black mollie(i think they're saltwater and fresh water fish)
-white tailed damsel Dascyllus aruanus
-percula clownfish Amphiprion ocellaris
-black percula clownfish Amphiprion ocellaris
-blue damsel Pomacentrus coelestis
-yellowhead jawfish Opistognathus aurifrons
-cleaner fish Labroides dimidiastus
-royal gramma Gramma loreto
-firefish Ptereleotris slendidum
-blue tang Paracanthurus hepatus
-yellow tang Zebrasoma flavescens
-cleaner shimp
-starfish(any recommendations on what kind??)

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
fishy122092 said:
heres the fish i would like:

-cleaner shimp
look here it will give you some comparisons on which fish are aggresive -semiaggresive-reef safe or not.....Its a good learning page for the beginners I think...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?N=2004&gid=388&ref=3479&subref=AC

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was only planning on having a few clowns and damsels to start and add the others later when i can get a bigger tank. i was wondering if these fish were compatable if they had plenty of room. sorry if i wasnt clear enough on that.:doh:

Geoff said:
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

i think for a 30g tank you should only keep 2 or 3 fish max. you can not stock a SW tank like you can a FW tank.

G~

·
Registered
206 Posts
i started my 20 gal. with 4 damsels and 25-30 lbs LR 2 in sand bed...after a week or so my 2 sergeant majors were fighting with each other and havent stopped and my four striped damsel ended up bein stressed to death by those two...starting off (and even though im sorta a beginnner just repeating what i heard)...id have 2 damsels in there for 3-5 weeks and then get rid of them:) and get your clowns and what not...damsels get very territorial as i saw with my clowns

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Welcome To TRT the advice here is sold Everybody is great.

Fred

·
Registered
851 Posts
You might want to look into some chromis instead of damsels. Damsels are VERY fast and hard to catch when you get tired of them, which you will. Chromis are peaceful and they school together. Damsels will more than likely get mean, and when they do, im sure you arent gonna wanna yank all your rock work out just to catch them. Just an idea. If damsels are the fish you like, then go for it. Im just sharing my own experience. I've been there, and I still cant catch my 3stripe damsel because i refuse to tear my tank down. Hes mean as can be too.

Good luck whichever way you go :)

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
welcome to TRT, hope you enjoy it as much as us. as for you fish list, like everyone said, ditch the damsels, i would try to go with the royal gramma, the fire fish, and the 2 clowns, a few shrimp in that mix is fine too, but you havent said if you plan on keeping corals. and mollies arent saltwater fish, no matter what anyone says, they are brackish at best. and wont last in a true marine system. good luck and hope it all comes together for ya!!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep I say no go on the damsel. I have one and love him he gets along well with my maroon but I had to set up a fowler tank for them because they attack my other fish. My royal gamma is cool but only comes out to eat and will also attack anything that comes near his den. I like having more peaceful fish in my reef tank. Good luck on the setup and remember the tank will need to cycle before adding fish anyway so you have plenty of time to decide.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Welcome aboard, fishy!! w000000000000000t!!!

It is always a good idea to go slow when starting a new tank. It's hard, I know, but it may save you heartache down the road.

Forgive what may be a silly question, but I assume from your research that you know about cycling a tank, correct? Just had to ask to be sure. ;)

If it was me, I would go with a gramma or a firefish, and then allow the tank to settle for a month or two before considering anything else. Unfortunately, nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby. Good luck, and remember that we like pics! :D

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Welcome to TRT!! :dance:

No Six Line on your list?

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
welcome and hello,
I'll give my crack at this list,

yes, they can be acclimated to saltwater, and many adults make their way to the ocean
but they will not handle the aggressions of true reef fish

I'm not too sure about these in particular,
but I do have a tank just for damsels
and I can't add anything less than a group of 4 fish with out casualties

they really are the same fish, different morphs
I believe these are the least aggressive of the clown fish
(but they are still part of the damsel family)

also known as blue devils, best in a damsel only tank

sleeper gobies need sand to live, but once established,
they are great additions

stay away from cleaner wrasses, they should be kept in the ocean
they will only eat parasites,
and the cleaning station that is removed from the ocean
can take years to replace

excellent fish, also look into orchid dottybacks for a all purple color.

great fish, make sure they are healthy and eating before you buy.
let the LFS hold on to them for at least 1 week and do not order online
I've found they do not do well in groups, so only 1 per tank

both great fish, but as stated earlier,
will need at least a 75 gal tank for either 1 to survive, 90 gal for both

-cleaner shimp
yes, yes, and yes
get 2, their small
they also help out if you get a small case of ich in the tank
a much better choice than the cleaner wrasse

rule of thumb on starfish is
non-central disk and bumbs on the arms = not reef safe
so, brittle/serpent stars are the popular choice
(but they can eat fish/shrimp)
my favorite is the simple chocolate chip star, but it's in my damsel tank
and doesn't seam to touch soft corals

for other suggestions,

you could load up 3-4 smaller gobies into a 30 gal tank

KIA

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
heh... DAMNsels...

Skip the tangs in such a small tank.

Think about some peaceful shy fish for the size of your system, and limit the number to 2 to 3 TOTAL INCHES worth of fish as adults. Saltwater does not have the capacity to carry as many fish in a given volume as FW does, so the rules are a bit different, and there are some givens that mush be obeyed if you want a relatively maintenance-free experience with the system.

If you want to primarily keep corals, there is a consequence of nitrates and phosphates as a result of keeping and feeding fishes, so a heavy load of fish will result in a heavy load of wastes to get rid of (export). These wastes will be in the form of carbon (DOC's). accumulating nitrates (decomposing proteins and nitrification of ammonia) and phosphates (fish wastes and decomposing organics) that will eventually trigger nuisance algal gowths. In a system geared primarily towards keeping fishes, this is not so much a problem because the fish tolerate these substances much better than corals would, but in corals, esecially stony corals, these substances not only "brown" out the corals (loss of exotic coloration), but if allowed to remain and accumulate, will inhibit or stop calcification of stony coral skeletons. This ultimately will lead to loss of these coral specimens.

What is the ONE most important specimen that you would want to have in your system (either coral or fish), and how important is it that you have this specimen?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
know-it-all said:
rule of thumb on starfish is
non-central disk and bumbs on the arms = not reef safe
so, brittle/serpent stars are the popular choice
(but they can eat fish/shrimp)
my favorite is the simple chocolate chip star, but it's in my damsel tank
and doesn't seam to touch soft corals...
BUT thesae are not safe with stony corals and some soft corals as well, they WILL strip the coenenchyme off stony corals. GREAT addition to a Fish-Only system though.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
IMO - Don't do damsels! I have one in the thirty gallon and he has just killed both of my new blue-green chromis this week.
I'd go with clowns, six-lined wrasse, and a couple of shrimp. I agree on the chromis fish - they are really peaceful fish.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Opps, sorry I forgot this...

You'll love it here! Lots of help and suggestions. And, lots of great people. It's just like home... click your mouse two times and you're home.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts