The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just trying to figure out the new camera.....here is a smorgasboard to look at

first Ill post one of a fish......and if any of you camera pros have any input as to how to take better shots of fish...Im all ears. I can take pis of slow fish...but fish like this PB.......I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the clarity on them......they all come out noisy

and some macros...

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Looks good to me...I too have problems getting my fish to pose for me!!! I seem to get a lot of colored blurs instead of fish.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
wow Great shot of the Chrysis wrasse ! I never got a good pic of mine

They are all awesome though !

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
GREAT PICS!!! What camera did you get?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Awesome shots Bill. :)

My Canons have an AI focus mode that continuously focuses on a user set point -- I'm not familiar with Nikon but there has to be an equivalent AF mode. That's the best way I have found to keep fish in focus.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great Pictures!!!!
wow Great shot of the Chrysis wrasse ! I never got a good pic of mine

They are all awesome though !
thank you :)

GREAT PICS!!! What camera did you get?
d-80

Those pictures are great Bill. I think you pretty much have the camera figured out, and cannot imagine the quality pictures you will get if you haven't figured it out yet.

I can only sit back and drool over your pictures as mine will never be that good no matter what type of camera I may have.
Thank you ....but not true. I was totally clueless not too long ago...im still fairly clueless. the camera matters...a lot ;)

Awesome shots Bill. :)

My Canons have an AI focus mode that continuously focuses on a user set point -- I'm not familiar with Nikon but there has to be an equivalent AF mode. That's the best way I have found to keep fish in focus.

I need to look for this. So you mean like focused always certain part of the tank/certain distance?? Im thinking I need to put the other lens on for fish as I shoot pretty much everything with the macro lens. the DOF is so dang small especially trying to get any decent pics of my chevron. He is so dark that I have to overexpose everything in the smallest fstop possible and he still comes out black and you cant see what he really looks like. This is the best picture I have ever gotten of him...............I wish I knw what I did as I havent been able to do it since with the old camera that took it or the new one.....and the background as you can see was massively overexposed to do it

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I need to look for this. So you mean like focused always certain part of the tank/certain distance?? Im thinking I need to put the other lens on for fish as I shoot pretty much everything with the macro lens. the DOF is so dang small especially trying to get any decent pics of my chevron. He is so dark that I have to overexpose everything in the smallest fstop possible and he still comes out black and you cant see what he really looks like. This is the best picture I have ever gotten of him...............I wish I knw what I did as I havent been able to do it since with the old camera that took it or the new one.....and the background as you can see was massively overexposed to do it
You might want to throw on a slight flash, just drop it as low as you can, while upping the shutter so it still looks like only tank light.

That's the method I used on this pic:

You can tell it was flash; but it can be adjusted further tho either in shutter and ap settings or in PS.

The AI focus program on my cameras, continuously keeps a point in focus. If you pan the camera while focusing, that point will constantly be in focus no matter the distance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts