The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just finished cycling my 46 gallon fowlr tank all the test readings say zero i have a yellow tail damsel and i want to put in a
clown fish
dotty back
bi- colour butterfly fish
fireangle or coral beauty
coral branded shrimp and snails
and maybe a madarine down the line and a yellow tang or a starfish

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR OPPOSITIONS

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
hey i just finished cycling my 46 gallon fowlr tank all the test readings say zero i have a yellow tail damsel and i want to put in a
clown fish
dotty back

So how long has the tank been up?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It will be extremely hard to impossible to keep a mandarin, and never put a Tang in a 46.
Both fish need a 100 gallon or bigger, the Tang for the swimming room and the mandarin for enough pods to not starve to death.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

i think that all of those fish would be poor choices for that tank, especially in those numbers.

the unfortunate thing about SW is that the fish are specific feeders and will not just eat whatever you put into the tank like FW. SW fish can also be significantly more aggressive, think african cichlid aggressive. some SW also need significant swimming room in order to be healthy. having that damsel in there makes things difficult, they can get very aggressive to any new fish introduced.

clown fish. could be fine depending on species and when introduced. can be quite mean.
dottyback. unlikely to be fine, they can be real mean buggers.
butterfly fish- not a good choice for a beginner. hard to get to eat. some still cyanide caught.
firefish- good choice, though timid and could get beat up by the more aggressive fish.
coral beauty. some small angels are tough to get eating and not trustworthy around corals.
coral banded shrimp. ok, as long as there are not any other decorative shrimp.
snail- trochus, ceriths, and stomatella are my favorite
mandarin-no, tank is not big enough to support its food requirements.
yellow tang-no. tank is to small to provide the swimming room necessary.
starfish- stay away from green brittle stars. some of the smaller serpent stars are fine. the smaller the central disc the safer it is going to be to the inhabitants of the tank.

G~

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ya that damsel is going to be a problem down the road (I'd bet on it). Agree with the no tang or mandarin. But the others I'd sat go for it. You'll never know until you try. I've had a dotty that was great and I've also had one of the meanest. Never had a coral b but my flame angel is healthy and happy. Butterflies should wait awhile till the tank is mature (like a year or so). I have a coral banded with a skunk cleaner and some peppermint shrimp that never have problems. You can pick a so called peaceful fish and have problems and some that are suppose to be aggressive and be the best behaved. Just go slow (stocking) research as much as you can and experiment.

·
Registered
700 Posts
clown fish
dotty back

Clownfish and Dotty back are good choices for that size tank. The others though will be too cramped and you may run into aggression issues especially if you put too many fish in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont want to put all those fish in im just looking for suggestions for my 46 gallon tank i like color

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
clown fish. could be fine depending on species and when introduced. can be quite mean.
dottyback. unlikely to be fine, they can be real mean buggers.
butterfly fish- not a good choice for a beginner. hard to get to eat. some still cyanide caught.
firefish- good choice, though timid and could get beat up by the more aggressive fish.
coral beauty. some small angels are tough to get eating and not trustworthy around corals.
coral banded shrimp. ok, as long as there are not any other decorative shrimp.
snail- trochus, ceriths, and stomatella are my favorite
mandarin-no, tank is not big enough to support its food requirements.
yellow tang-no. tank is to small to provide the swimming room necessary.
starfish- stay away from green brittle stars. some of the smaller serpent stars are fine. the smaller the central disc the safer it is going to be to the inhabitants of the tank.
^This

1 - 10 of 10 Posts