The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a chocolate chip starfish eat aptasia and/or majano aneomones?

Like, if you bought some live rock that had some of the above on it, and you stuck it in a tank alone with the star, would it clean the rock off?

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh in that case I LOVE aptasia! :D

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
oh in that case I LOVE aptasia!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
:funny: Now you just have to convince the starfish!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres this guy selling his live rock which has aptasia and 'some other kind of pest anemone' and the tank used to have hair algae, for $2/lb. I think even if it is cheap, its probably not a good deal. if it was just hair algae and the rock could be cooked, MAYBE, but aptasia and company? naaaaah. oh well, good to know.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and spend all the money i saved on cheap live rock?? nah! I am too prone to talk myself into something and then kick myself in the rear for it later.:agree:

·
11,345 Posts
salt creepette said:
Theres this guy selling his live rock which has aptasia and 'some other kind of pest anemone' and the tank used to have hair algae, for $2/lb. I think even if it is cheap, its probably not a good deal. if it was just hair algae and the rock could be cooked, MAYBE, but aptasia and company? naaaaah. oh well, good to know.
The high phosphate levels in the rock that would casue lots of hair algae and such are a MUCH larger problem than pest aiptasia anf majanos.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was kinda wondering about the star also. My gf works at a lfs and swears that they will eat mojanos. I havent seen it with my own eyes so i dont know 100%

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I know for sure they'll eat mushrooms :rolleyes:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
really? cooking LR will FOR SURE rid the rock of aptasia? I am skeptical. anyone done this successfully (sorry, ever-the-skeptic)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the reason I ask is cuz a guy is selling his lr that is infested with aptasia and was wondering if it was worth the effort to buy, if you were already intending on cooking it. I am not sure that even at $2/lb, if you have to cook it (because its used, had hair algae breakouts, and is full of aptasia), that you are really saving any time or money in the longrun.

·
11,345 Posts
salt creepette said:
the reason I ask is cuz a guy is selling his lr that is infested with aptasia and was wondering if it was worth the effort to buy, if you were already intending on cooking it. I am not sure that even at $2/lb, if you have to cook it (because its used, had hair algae breakouts, and is full of aptasia), that you are really saving any time or money in the longrun.
Any rock that hasmt been cooked will benefit from being cooked. I wouldnt NOT buy otherwise nice rock becaseu of aiptasia or majanos.

If its nice porous rock i think its worth $2 all day long

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok y'all are making me think I should buy this rock. hmmm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts