The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chadvwhite checking in from Fayetteville, GA

I have a 65 gal tank with a ehiem 225 can filter, hang on the back protien skimmer, power head, 50 # of live rock, 3" thick live sand bottem, bi color angel, maroon clown, 4 striped damsel (which i would not mind hims disapearing(mean *** fish)), serpent star, 5 red legs and 4 blue, 20 snails, 1 queen conch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will get some tonight i got the tank moved to my new house yesterday. i changed the rock all around captured the 4 stripe and i now have him in a bowl at my desk here at work. the rock scape seems much better now many many places for the fish to swim in and out of in the tank i know my dotty back and clown are loving the new design the bi color now has places to hide. i will probaly get a yellow tang and coco star this weekend. then continue to save for my light and my new 75 gal i want to setup

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Welcome aboard Chad!!!

Sounds like your off to a good start with the Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) Tank. When you upgrade to reef, you'll want to take the canister filter off, or just run it with carbon. You'll find that the canister may be a bit of a nitrate factory. While a little nitrate is OK (non-detectable is ideal), nitrates of over 10-20 ppm can cause algal problems.

Also, when you upgrade to a reef setup, you may want to add a sump (if you don't already have one) and upgrade your skimmer. Nutrient removal is very important to a successful reef tank. A good skimmer goes a long way to help with nutrient removal because it removes uneaten food, waste, and other stuff before they have a chance to break down and pollute your water. Take a look at the Coralife NW skimmers or an ASM; both are well-regarded and inexpensive as decent skimmers go.

You might be better of taking your four-stripe back to the LFS, as SW fish (even Damsels) are much more sensitive to ammonia build-up in a fishbowl than are goldfish or Bettas. Also, if you get a Yellow Tang, be sure to get a small one. I know the urge to get one is almost irresistible ;). Keep in mind that most sources say the minimum tank size for the is 50-75 gallons, so it may outgrow your tank.

Anyway, good luck with your new house, and your tank upgrades. Keep us posted; we love tank pictures around here!!!

- Michael

chadvwhite said:
i will get some tonight i got the tank moved to my new house yesterday. i changed the rock all around captured the 4 stripe and i now have him in a bowl at my desk here at work. the rock scape seems much better now many many places for the fish to swim in and out of in the tank i know my dotty back and clown are loving the new design the bi color now has places to hide. i will probaly get a yellow tang and coco star this weekend. then continue to save for my light and my new 75 gal i want to setup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goodfortune said:
Welcome aboard Chad!!!

Sounds like your off to a good start with the Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) Tank. When you upgrade to reef, you'll want to take the canister filter off, or just run it with carbon. You'll find that the canister may be a bit of a nitrate factory. While a little nitrate is OK (non-detectable is ideal), nitrates of over 10-20 ppm can cause algal problems.

Also, when you upgrade to a reef setup, you may want to add a sump (if you don't already have one) and upgrade your skimmer. Nutrient removal is very important to a successful reef tank. A good skimmer goes a long way to help with nutrient removal because it removes uneaten food, waste, and other stuff before they have a chance to break down and pollute your water. Take a look at the Coralife NW skimmers or an ASM; both are well-regarded and inexpensive as decent skimmers go.

You might be better of taking your four-stripe back to the LFS, as SW fish (even Damsels) are much more sensitive to ammonia build-up in a fishbowl than are goldfish or Bettas. Also, if you get a Yellow Tang, be sure to get a small one. I know the urge to get one is almost irresistible ;). Keep in mind that most sources say the minimum tank size for the is 50-75 gallons, so it may outgrow your tank.

Anyway, good luck with your new house, and your tank upgrades. Keep us posted; we love tank pictures around here!!!

- Michael
I dont really have that much room under my tank to setup a sump however I could build a box to enclose the sump be side the tank. I bought a coralife 125 skimmer back during christmas seems to be doing a good job. The bowl was a temp fix untill i could take him to the store at lunch .. he has been a good fish but the aggressiveness him was getting on my last nerve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts