The Reef Tank banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Hey no worries I really appreciate all the sage advice. I went to a different LFS today for the phos media, and they also had a lot of apistasia in their tanks. They are by reputation the two best stores in town so I made the decision to buy a 20 gallon tank for $50 and transferred a piece of live rock from the DT into, added a couple pieces of dry limestone and a powerhead and heater and put the Kessil Sun over it so I can Quarantine things since I think I'll be stocking by mail from here on out. About to start the reactor, the guy at the LFS said the same thing about the phosphate leaching out of the rocks. Said sometimes it can't be avoided but not to drop the level too fast or the corals in there might get stressed. I'll let the reactor run a few days and then test again and probably do another big water change.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
When running the reactor keep an eye on readings, it can be very effective and depending on the amount of phosphates in the system can deplete it quite fast and if left unattended can release it back into the water column.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Will do, I'll probably end up testing daily. I bought Rowa phos which the guy at the store at least said it was designed to be more of a slow and steady and advised to start with half the recommended dose. On the label it says it won't re release unlike some media. Kind of funny side story, he was the obvious 'guru' of the store that like could not be bothered with noob questions, but would sort of nod or grunt his answers. Gotta love the LFS culture.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Wow you ain't kidding, Phosphates already looking like down to .4ppm in like 18 hours of run time. Weird thing is Nitrates look to have dropped as well, with no water change, where did they go? Could the fuge have eaten them? I also noticed some 'lettuce' like green algae on the very upper rocks, about to drop 5 snails right there but maybe the lettuce algae used some Nitrates? Its reading down like closer to 5 now, def above 10 yesterday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Upon a re test my wife and I think Nitrates are between 5 and 10, the API color chart isn't the clearest, but its definitely less than over the weekend where it was very clearly above 10 and possibly closer to 15.

If I add a peppermint shrimp and there is no apistasia will it just eat food scraps or is that a death sentence for it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
About to put in an order from Blue Zoo, I am thinking to add the following (after a short stay in the Q tank which is now cycled)

1) Bi-Color Blenny (researched and this seems to be the mellowest and most reef safe of the blennies commonly available)
2) Maze brain coral
Platygyra spp.
3) Kenya Tree
4) Scarlet Cleaner shrimp
5) A variety of snails (Cerith, Nassarius, etc)
6) Green frilly mushrooms

Any issues with any of these guys considering only a pair of clownfish in there?

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I would think everything will be fine, the kenya tree will grow and drop babies. Maybe swap to green kenya tree, really pretty, somewhat slower growth and not going to overtake like the brown

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I called the guy and he said its just a stock photo probably taken under blue lights. Said they don't see the green tree coral come through often if ever. Suggested maybe a spaghetti leather instead?

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Yeah it’s probably the lights, the first one is a regular in my seahorse tank, tan/ brown in color
The other is green in my reef tank. Slower growing and grows like a tree with a large trunk. I like them both, but would put the regular one in my reef. Don’t want to be removing the babies all the time. But it’s not the end of the world.
Flower Plant Underwater Marine biology Coastal and oceanic landforms

Water Organism Underwater Fish supply Fish

Water Natural material Underwater Coral Marine biology

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Cool. He suggested the Colt tree coral as an alternative, says they tend to stay and look more purple under blue lights and will still grow and branch like a tree which is what I was looking for while being hardy in a new reef.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
So I went with the colt tree coral, the maze brain, the bicolor blenny, a scarlet cleaner, green frilly shrooms, 6 each cerith, narita, and nassarius snails, and got a free bonus gift 'polyp grab bag', wonder what will be in there? Arrives Friday can't wait.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts