The Reef Tank banner
121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Yeah I guess that makes sense. With Cichlids its pretty much guaranteed they would be aggressive without exception. Just have to give them enough room and enough targets to thin that out. At any rate no need to decide on a dwarf angel or not now, just need to decide whether to get a single or pair of clowns and what starter corals. Any tips on that? Zoos are hardy right? Just put them kind of low down in the tank? Frogspawn or bubble coral for the Clown(s)?

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Most of the free world can keep Zoa's.....except your's truly of course.....never been able to?
I'd entertain thoughts of a 'Frilly' Mushroom or 'Hairy' Mushroom....hardier than a LPS or anemone.

But before I went THAT direction, I'd make sure your 'uglies' ain't THAT bad or nearly over.....most Corals won't tolerate algae growing on them. My Mushrooms came through the 'other side', but were much happier when the algae stopped.
Hack

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Maybe I'll just grab the fish and a small CUC and then make sure the algae and nitrates are under control then. I guess I haven't really decided what I was going for, I figured I could do a mixed LPS/Softie tank. I read that the SPS were very expensive and demanding so respect to anyone who keeps their reef that pristine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
So I brought a pair of Oc. Clowns home Saturday along with a green Hammer coral and a little frag of eagle eye Zoas. So far so good, the clowns are both eating well although they show no interest in the hammer coral which is looking happy, the Zoas are sort of 'meh' about the relocation thus far. So last night my wife went by the LFS on the way home from work to get a CUC and got 4 hermits, 3 snails, and 2 emerald crabs. We dropped them in the tank and then my wife spotted two apistasia growing on the hermits. There was obvious apistasia I guess at the LFS in most of the tanks but the staff member said that is just the way it is, that they passenger in on everything...live rock, coral frags, shells of inverts etc. Is this correct? I freaked out and fished them all out and put them in Q tank where they are now. I am going to scrub their shells with a toothbrush with a little vinegar. I read that coral dip will not kill Apistasia. Am I over thinking this?

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
If you can scape the shells clean, you’ll probably be fine. I don’t know if I would use vinegar.

it’s not something you want to introduce into your tank . If the lfs has them in all their tanks , I would probably not by, it sounds like they just order livestock to sell who make me wonder how they care for fish.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Not sure if all their tanks had it, but I didn't look all that closely when I bought the hammer coral. The CUC didn't seem to mind the vinegar, I held them upside down so it didn't run into their shells. I'll give it a few days and watch them and if no sign I'll put them into the big tank. I may just order from blue zoo for my next run. How long should I let the two frags and two fish be before adding more? My thought was to double the bioload every 3-4 weeks but I don't know where I got that from. Too early to add a peppermint shrimp for insurance?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Oh yes, if the fish store think that is just the way it is, consider another store.
Aiptasia can hitch hike on a lot of things. They obviously don’t care enough to do anything about it so they say it is unavoidable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I think they are a good store in terms of having a lot of good advice, and they don't upcharge on most things. They basically offer internet prices for test kits, salt, food, etc. and they have a full sump plumbing parts division with great staff. Maybe the best way to say it is they are great engineers and average biologists.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Just got my Phosphate kit in the mail, the NYOS. I really don't get the point of the control tube but the sample read between .2-.3 mg/L Phosphate, is that okay? Bad news is those sloppy clownfish got the Nitrates up towards 20 ppm maybe more, big water change coming this weekend.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
So I figured out the NYOS phosphate kit, I was reading it wrong. After about a 50% water change I am reading way high, like 1ppm Phosphates, and maybe 15 ppm Nitrates. I mean I can get the Nitrates under control with water changes but I'm thinking to run a phosban reactor for a day or two. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I think Vinnie runs phosphates at that level. Could be mistaken though.
Haven’t tested lately, but I don’t want to eliminate phosphates or nitrates. 0 phosphate create issues all there old.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I should have stated phosphates at 0.05 is find and nitrates at about 3 to 6 are good. On a new tank I don’t get really concerned with the numbers as it still not completely stable. Chasing numbers will drive you nuts. Stability is more important. I have ran a phosphate reactor in the pass and it was so efficient , too much for my liking.
On a softie tank I’m not really concerned even LPS. But Sps I am more concerned

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Okay I hear you, but 1 ppm is 20 times higher than .05 and it could be a problem for Algae growth, I think part of the reason it got so high was I had the wrong light on my refugium. I thought I had a Kessil Tuna Flora but it was a Tuna Sun, too much white/blue so I just put the red/purple budget strip light that came with the tank back in. I think I will just run the Phosban reactor for 24 hours and see where the number are, I just don't want to constantly battle Algae.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
That was an error on my part, and typing my phone.
The rock is probably still releasing some phosphates , once you just adding corals they will also utilize some of it,
But if the numbers are high the reactor may be beneficial.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts