The Reef Tank banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
No just wait for the ammonia to 0, do a water change to reduce nitrates and good to go.
Where you go from there is up to you. Some turn the lights on and let algae grow for a while then introduce clean up crew for algae. Some go straight to easy corals, others add their first fish.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
Don't spend a lot of time on the nitrites, like I mentioned earlier they may not really be detectable, ammonia is you main concern and if you are detecting nitrates the cycle moving along.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
I agree with the above regarding Nitrite, I wouldn't worry about it. There is even some question as to weather it has any effect to living creatures at the PH we keep our tanks at.

However as far as the feeding goes, I usually do add a little bit of flake daily through the cycle,.. a very little bit. I do this because that's what I'd be doing if I had one small fish. Keep in mind that fishes stomachs are a little larger than their eyes, so that gives you a metric of how much to add.

Whiskey

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Okay finally. Ammonia is reading zero and looks like Nitrates have spiked to the 20-30 ppm range. I'll need to change the water obviously to get the nitrates down, how much should I be looking for, what's an acceptable nitrate load?

Then as far as stocking, is it advisable to add a clean up crew first to take on the diatom bloom? I guess a few small corals couldn't hurt but maybe I'll hold off on fish until the algae seems more under control.

At what point should I use the Phosban reactor?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
The diatoms will go away by themselves.
There is one method of tank set up that would do a water change to reduce the nitrates and then allow the algae to grow for a while then add a clean up crew to eliminate it. Truthfully, this adds a couple of months to the set up and I don’t have the patience to do it that way. I just put up with having to deal with the algae with the livestock in the tank. If you have algae besides diatoms then adding some clean up crew would be good if not I would not add them as they will not a food source. If you add corals they may need to be able to put up with getting covered with green hair algae. Fish would be a safe addition.
I have never used a phosban reactor, butyou don’t want to get the phosphates too low as this can cause other problems such as a dino out break.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I'm with Jerry on the Phosban reactor , its a good tool but can give you problems also. Its not something to use unless you know your system and test for them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Okay thanks. Sounds like the move might be a fish and a really hardy coral or two. If I add a fish do the clean up crew go in to for uneaten fish food and detritus? Clownfish are really hardy right? How low do the Nitrates need to be?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
5 is a decent number give or take. Depends on whether you want to do SPS corals or not. You can add some detritovours and then when you get algae some herbivores.
Clowns are hardy but depending on the species may make some future fish additions difficult.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Okay wow I'm going to have to change a lot of water then. I'll see what they have at the shop for fish, I have had a Maroon and Percula (or Ocelarus they look similar) clown a long time ago, I don't remember either of them bothering other fish, maybe they are okay? I thought Tomato clowns maybe more aggressive as they look more like their damselfish brethren. I guess detritovores are like bristleworms and maybe hermit crabs? Snails for algae?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
There are also some snails that eat detritus. You can take it down in few water changes. But it will still be a lot of water since a 50% change drops nutrients by 50%.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I'll go ahead and use all the rest of the sea salt I have and see where that gets me. Then maybe I can go find a fish, crabs, and snails and buy more salt on the same trip as well as a good Phosphate test kit. If I wanted to give the clownfish a house, frogspawn is pretty hardy at this point right? I remember reading that anenomes will move around and sting other corals. should I be at all worried that I could not blow all the diatoms off with a turkey baster? I got some/most but some is persisting.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
When the silicates in the system are used they should disappear. Anemone will move sometimes till they find a spot they like. I wait till the system is good and stable if you want to try one.
As for the clown, frog spawn, mushroom, power head no telling what they will like.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
yeah clowns are very unpredictable , some clowns prefer a particular anemone to host and will host mush faster if the combination is correct.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I was in the LFS today to get more salt for the big pre stock water change and they had a lot of clowns for sale as pairs. Is this a good idea? Although I like the idea, my gut tells me that if they are a pair they are likely to be more aggressive towards tankmates than one alone.

I swapped out maybe 40-45 gallons of the approx 65 gallons in the system, Nitrates seem to read in the 5-10 ppm, was planning on adding the clown and a frag or two of zoos and frogspawn on Saturday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
They had both true Perculas and Oc. available as pairs, is one more likely to be aggressive than the other? I was kind of thinking down the line to add a dwarf angel, a wrasse of some type, a blenny or goby...

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
A dwarf angel might not be a good idea in a small tank. I had a Coral Beauty and it started terrorizing the female clown, kept it chased up in one corner of the tank. Had to get rid of it. You should be able to add a blenny with a pair of occ. Clowns I added a lawnmower to to mine. It had the pair of occ and a pair of pajama cardinals.

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Just like walking down a crowded street......1 6' average build/looking guy pleasant as all get out.....10 ' away another fella, same build....a real snot head.

I have a Half Black dwarf angel I've had for 5 years now.....the hardiest, most laid back chap you'd ever want swimming around your reef. Someone else might have his butt head cousin. Sad, but most fish you play the odds, so right, wrong or indifferent you gotta go by what the majority tell ya.....I risked it with my Half Black in a 'reef tank'...he could care less about bothering my corals.
Hack

101 - 120 of 158 Posts