The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I spotted one growing out of the sand. I'm going to bleach the sand and rinse really really well, and then I'm going to put another heater or two in and see if I can get the tank up to over a hundred for a day or two. That should probably be sufficient.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Okay rocks and sand are bleached and rinsed really well. Have two 300 W Eheim Jagers set to the max 93 degrees and will boil about 10 gallons RO to spike it to 120. How deep of a sand bed should I be going for? I weighed the rocks and they are only 50 lbs and I thought you wanted minimum 1 lb. per gallon up to 1.5. Also do you count the sump when you are figuring tank volume?

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
50 lbs in a 60 is plenty, but you may want more to do rock work they way you want. The 1to 1.5 is what the retail market calls for but there is no real rules. You don’t want a tank with only a few pounds. I’m usually on the lower side of the scale in my tank. But the senator rock also come into the equation.
as far as sand I really can’t help other then a shallow sand bed like an inch or so over a deep sand bed. I don’t have sand in my tanks and haven’t for over a decade.
sand bed will give the option to keep certain species that I can’t because they really need a sand bed to make happy.
it all comes down to what appeals to you and requirements of something you may want to keep.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'll aim for about an inch, if its a little more I'm not gonna lose sleep. I'll have to get more rock anyways to seed that dead stuff. Any tips on where to get safe live rock in San Diego?

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
I’m on the other side of the country, but the area you live in should have it locally or online.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
There is one shop in town that I would trust. I got the water up to 105 degrees overnight, this morning was 97, added the sand and rocks back and am trying to plumb the sump this afternoon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well the sump is leaking at the false bottom. The previous owner snapped the original fitting trying to loosen it but it was pretty crusty so no surprise there. I went by the fish shop with the broken piece and the guy gave me a replacement piece, basically a through sink PVC fitting and told me to just thread it tight with the o-ring on the bottom of the tank. That didn't sound right to me, I thought the o-ring should be on the water side but I did what he said, pretty hard to tighten the O-ring down and then I glued the piece to an elbow that lead to the drop into the sump. So now I've got to cut the glued piece to get it back out and go back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes I think so. He had the O-ring positioned against the nut as he demonstrated in the store, and I think I misunderstood, its stupid of me because I've changed out sink drains and worked with fluidics and i should have remembered the wet side needs to be sealed, once the water is through the hole well good luck stopping it. Anyways just about to go after it again with a new bulkhead and elbow. Weird thing is, it looks like there is a check valve on the drain, and a ball valve on the return, seems backwards to what I would do.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Really don’t need a check valve on the drain.
what kind of drain system does it use. Durso, Herbie or bean animal?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
You know I had it wrong, the sump was backwards when I had it out, the check valve goes on the return pump. Yeah I don't think the drain is necessary to even have a ball valve because you only need to siphon out an inch or two of water from the false backing and the overflow to the sump stops so you can just shut off the return pump and close the manual valve you you can remove the unions and then remove the sump with everything in your display just hunky dory. Honestly I read an article about those drain systems, it seems like a Durso, pretty simple, just a false trapezoid section in the back of the tank with the hole in that. A standpipe was glued to a bulkhead and then elbows below the tank to the front of the sump through a filter sock, then moves front to back to the last section where the return pump delivers back to display tank. So basically the 'weir' overflows until it reaches the top of the standpipe and then down into the sump. Just waiting for the PVC glue to dry, the bulkhead seems to be holding this time now that I put it on the right way lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Also added 10 lbs. of Live rock from the local store I trust, the guy said their rock is very very clean and they service a lot of big tanks in businesses around town. The wife felt bad for the worms and hermit crabs still in a tupperware so she stole a small piece of rock and has a little 3 gallon Q tank already going, probably a good idea to park new frags in it for a week and check for pests to emerge.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
You might have noise with just a straight stand pipe. If so you might try something like a Maggie Muffler.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks for the heads up...yeah there is a little slurping at the top since its not a real siphon, not too bad with the hood on but the vibration from the return pump is worse, I need to put something down under it to lessen the vibration on the sump (the sump is acrylic). But the plumbing is all holding so whew on that, was a bit of a job but pieced some sprinkler parts together, grateful I had a proper pipe cutter. Got the shrimp in, seed rock in, lights on, Specific gravity 1.024, temp 78, nitrites = 0 ppm. Now time for patience.
Water Blue Underwater Fluid Organism

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Googled the maggie muffler, that looks like an easy, cheap, convenient fix and I have a one inch standpipe. Is the better way to plumb it to build like a horizontal bar with multiple intakes? Like an Eheim spray bar in reverse but I guess with bigger holes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I just looked at the Herbie diagram, definitely a superior set up but my tank is drilled with one hole so I would need to build an overflow box, I think I'll just get the Maggie muffler which in theory will keep snails or other animals blocking it. I noticed a lot of foam in the sump this morning, probably time to put the skimmer in the sump. Its probably form the decaying shrimp?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Foam in the sump? Do you have a large difference in water levels between sections so the water falls a ways? Or are you getting a lot of air in the drain line?

41 - 60 of 97 Posts