The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got it. Thank you. Is the general rule of thumb for total fish stocking one inch per gallon? Or was that for FW? I was going to start off with a few hardy fish, maybe a cleaner shrimp and a few soft corals, some zoos and some frogspawn and make sure that all is going well.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
The one inch rule does not apply here. What really depends on on you maintenance, and type of fish.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
You have to remember that cute little fish is going to grow and many won’t do good in a small tank. For reference on tank size requirements, liveaquaria is a loose place along with other online retailers. Don’t depend on the local fish store to steer you right. All to many only want a sale or have clueless employees. Not all but many . I worked in one and we always discourage people from buying the wrong fish. We would lose sales and many people would just go to another one to purchase.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wood Pollinator Natural material Insect Terrestrial plant

Any idea what this stuff is? There were 4-5 pieces of it in the sump (refugium section). Its not live rock, almost like some type of sponge? Its pretty crumbly, like sandstone.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Not sure what it’s called , but probably some kind of brick or something to act the same as live rock, will deteriorate over time. I wouldn’t use.
Jerry may know what it’s called

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There was also small pieces of live rock in the refugium, I have them soaking in water, I should put those back in the sump refugium section for critters right?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
A brand name is Marine Pure. Generically called bio block.
It is porous usually ceramic, gives bacteria another place to grow. Some can even provide an anaerobic area deep inside.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Uh oh I think I have a bigger problem on my hands. Now that the dust has settled and the water is warm quite a few Apistasia anenomes have popped out of the live rock. I have heard that basically you will always get these but in my last effort they were so hard to keep at bay. Is there a treatment option? Or at this stage is it wiser to just bake all the rock and the sand in the sun for a week and try to find some seed rock from an established tank.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Since you are just starting I think it would be a good idea to remove the rock and nuke the buggers. I never had aiptasia and don’t really think it is normal to get it. There are lots of places you can some rock to seed the tank with.
No point in having head aches later.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So basically.....

1) Take all the rocks and sand and dry it out completely in the sun for an extended period of time.
2) Drain all the water and discard
3) Clean scrub surfaces of tank and dry and the sump as well.
4) put it all back in and fill with new water.
5) find some trustworthy seed rock
6) cycle with some shrimp meat

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
If I was doing it I would place in a drum fill with water and add beach. depending on size of Rubbermaid or plastic jug will depend on the amount of beach you will use, let sit for a few days , then drain and do again and then fill with fresh water and rinse a few times , add dechlorinizer drain and let air dry. Keep beach water off of you and your eyes. another way is with muriatic acid which I don't recommend for a number of reasons. I always do it with beach.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Okay so the bleach it is. Obviously this will work much faster than drying in the sun, and I guess the very inside of the rock could stay wet for quite awhile and house intact Apistasia just waiting to repopulate the reef. I guess a Novaqua/Amquel treatment on the final rinse should take care of any residue left. I feel bad for all the little reef critters that I kept alive in that swimming pool for a week.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
The bleach will kill everything. Then rinse with shin pressure from a hose. To blow out any dead stuff. You will be able to tell.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got all the rocks back in the kiddie pool, 1/3 cup of bleach per gallon. Going to leave overnight. I guess I need to chuck the sand in after and rinse that really good as well right? What about the water? That was a good amount of RO wastewater and salt to make it up, I don't want to risk it, I wonder if I should upcycle by heating on the stove to 168 in a couple of lobster pots.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
For the cleaning of the rock and sand , tap water is all you need, I may not be understanding what you mean heating up the water

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
He is talking about heating the water in the tank to kill any possible aiptasia bits in the water. And any that might be on the sand.
Unless they were on the sand or you tore some removing the rock the tank should be good I think. You could crank up the tank heater if you are worried about it.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts