The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got back from Tahiti, Bora-bora, Huahine, Moorea, Raratonga, Raietea...and all I can say is wow.....I'll be posting pics as soon as I get them. The reefs were the most incredible I have seen anywhere in the world. Saw tons of anemones with clowns, every color SPS under the sun, Green, snowflake and chainlink morays, and clams....the clams.....everywhere you look there were clams. You could see 4-5 clams in a 3 sq ft patch of reef.

ANYWAY......as I am planning my 120 reef, I thought that I would like to have in representative of the south pacific tahitian (society) islands.

One thing I noted in all my snorkel trips was the overwhelming presence of damsels. I know that they are everywhere (carribean, cozumel, etc) and I've been there, but here they were just really dominant.

So I definately want a group of green chromis to get the schooling effect...but how many? I was thinking 6 for a 120g?

Also, if you were to intruduce some other damsels (yellow-tail), what can you do to minimize agression and problems....put them in first, at the same time, last, staggered, etc... Thanks for your help and pics will be here soon!

Pat

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Pat glad you had a great time on your trip and will be anxiously awaiting the pics!!;)

As far as damsels go I can speak from personal experience as many can. I have four yellow tail blue damsels and one yellow damsel in my 80 gallon reef tank.

The four yellow tail blue damsels were introduced all at the same time and now have staked out a section of the reef as their own and defend it quite aggressively. They seldom cross over into another's territory! They get along quite well with a tomato clown and a copperband butterfly.

The yellow damsel rules the tank so to speak and has the largest territory to his own but all the others accept this so they co-exist with him. Hope this helps! :)

·
Administrator
47,678 Posts
Hey Pat Welcome back, that sounds like a reefers dream trip of a life time :D
As far as the damsels go I think maybe 5-6 chromis in a 120 may work, but then I tend to go light fish load in reef tanks.
They are crowded in the wilds true , but then I think that a typical 2 cubic foot of real reef offers infinatly more hiding plases than a 4x2x2 glass box, have you settled on coral types? Reef building acros, and such, or more of a softy lagoonal setup, I think 6 chromis would be easier on the latter type at least from waste management /water quality stand point.
ANyway glad you got to go see it first hand, Now theres a nother club in the making ;) Pictures soonest ;)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Oh man, that truly is a dream trip! Wow, I can't wait to see the pics.

Chromis will sometimes school in our tanks and when they do the effect is great. Sometimes what you get is the strongest picking on the weakest, on down the line, until you end up with one or two Chromis left. Fish school in the wild for the safety-in-numbers but they don't need to do that in our tanks so sometimes their behavior isn't what we'd hoped.

Just something to think about.

Alice

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First pic

Well,

it's not underwater, but here is a pic off the coast of bora-bora where we snorkeled....a small 'motu' with the reef visible below the shallow (6 ft) water.

Pat

Attachments

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i am SOOOO jealous. I am definitely going to have to move someplace like that where I can be near the water all the time. Ive never been diving, I hear it can be expensive as a hobby, but oh, just to be near the ocean, near a reef, would be a dream!

MORE PICS! MORE PICS! :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really was amazing....here are a few more pics.

The first is the waves breaking over the reef, its wild to see the surf crashing, sometimes a mile or more from land..

The second is a fish trap......they set these up in the natural passages in the reef.

Well, I'll post the underwater shots as soon as I get them

Pat

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts