The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought how to make a plain Jan skimmer better.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If u were to take a pump ran to a venturi and plum the output to some PVC and fill the PVC with bio balls and plum this to your input of your skimmer would this help produce smaller bubbles? In the long run that is what makes a down draft a downdraft <o:p></o:p>
More or less put a tower of bio balls in front of the input of my skimmer ? <o:p></o:p>
I have a Berlin skimmer <o:p></o:p>
Or am I a dumb [email protected]@

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
The berlin turbo can be made better. My friend uses one.

My friend uses a luft air pump to inject more air into venturi, the Luft air pump has a riostat on the front that alows you to controal how much air it puts out, he tunes the skimmer that way.

This alows him to skim wet which was not possible with the stock skimmer.

The problem with what you suggest is the air would all collect at the top of your downdraft tube, for that to work you need a really powerfull pump to crash water through the downdraft tube, I am talking 1000-2000 GPH and the Berlin Turbo can't drain that much water.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the stock venture hole to inject ozone. The stock venture has been removed. I now use an external venture and am using a dolphin dp 2200 or a dp-2500 the skimmer handles the water just fine?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skimmer DIY

The link is of pictures of my quick hack job<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I seem to be getting 4 times the skimate<o:p></o:p>
Please feel free to voice you opinions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts