The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Doug, you say that, but I personally think you are pretty good when it comes to lighting advice, as I have taken yours once or twice. But I wonder if some more stuff on that T5 lighting would be a good thing? I am in the process of building a vivarium so I am looking for a non heating bright bulb , I figure MH will be bright but add too much heat.

Ray

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't think we need a technical lighting presentation.

Maybe just a practical lighting presentation as it relates to keep a reef aquarium.

advantages and disadvantages of the differnt types of lighting MH, NO, VHO, PC, T5 --- recommended bulb replacement times and what different factors can effect the length of time before bulb replacement.

Different Wattages and spectrum color. 50/50, Daylight, Actinic ect...

Also maybe some practical installation tips. Many of us are DIY'ers and even though we may buy a kit we still put it together.

Well there is a few ideas that might get you going in some kind of direction.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm good with whatever on the presentation, just wanted to kind of know what was going on besides the formality stuff. I keep hearing of lux meters, etc. as well. If you could do a show and tell on what types of instruments are used to check lighting for intensity or phase shifts, etc. that would be pretty interesting.

Also, the website says the meeting is Tues 6/9. It means Tues 6/10, right? (Since we normally have a Tues meeting).

-Chris

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sometimes they are at peoples houses, sometimes LFS or aquarium related business, and sometimes at other meeting places we have secured over time.

The meetings are always open to the general public.

They are held the second Tuesday of the month at 07:30pm and usually get out around 09:30pm.

We try and have some type of activity or presentation at every meeting.

You can just show up. Depending on location and activity there are usually between 30-50 people who attend. If you wish to join our wonderfull club you may do that also at a meeting. Dues are $20.00 per year and are prorated quarterly. There are many benifits to being a member --- 10% off at our sponsor stores to name just one.

Although our website is still under re-construction many of it's features are working --- check it out Atlanta Reef Club

Hope to see ya at a meeting soon.

Charles

·
Registered
921 Posts
Bruce Carlson @ Fernbank

Coral Reefs: ecology and crisis
Tuesday 17 June 7pm
reservations 10am-5pm: 404 929 6400, Free admission

Tour of reefs emphasising Fiji, bleaching threat, join conservation effort. Dr Carlson is major developer of GA aquarium, formerly Wakiki Hawaii aquarium, author of many articles, created surge device.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.