The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To put it simply, I want zoos. Any and all zoos. :) Even 1 or 2 polyp frags are welcome. I should have a bit more to trade this time around. I'll make a good list when I get back from class, but I probably have a few shrooms, leathers, zoos and a few other things.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
i have a lot of new colors of zoos you should probably take a look at. if you wanna come and try to pry/cut some free you are more than welcome to them next time you are up in portland. i would frag em for you, but i havent taken the time to research how to do zoos yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, that thread has me a little worried. I am wondering if I need to get gloves.

I got a sting from what I thought was a bristle worm when I moved some zoos. I did see a several worms. It might have been the zoos themselves that caused the swelling and rash. Who knows?

puntific

·
Registered
141 Posts
I hope to see you all at the frag swap in June. I am new to this hobby so have more needs and wants than what I have in the way of frags to swap. I do have a Xenia who has split into three parts that I could swap (after I figure out how to do it <grin>. I also have money to swap which may help me acquire a frags or two. I am looking forward to seeing how others tanks, setups and learning what I can from you. I have purchased and read about eight books on the subject but as you know better than I do, there is a lot to learn about the subject. I was going to go fresh water as I had years ago but a helpful petsmart guy talked me into going with salt H2O tank (I believe they don't even sell salt-water livestock). Anyway, I have spent the last few months learning how expensive this choice is in comparison to fresh water. I don't regret going with salt, because there seems to be so much variety and it is much more interesting.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
phil: not sure how far you are from portland, as i dont have a car, but if you want to come visit some weekend, i might be able to get you a couple things for your reef out of mine. with a recent aquisition of about 15 new colonies, i would be more than happy to spread some of it out to a new hobbyist.

pm me some time and we will see if we can't find a good time to get together if you like.

jfly: of interest to you might be these yellow tentacle, yellow center, yellow mouth variety. also have lime green tentacle, light blue center, yellow/green mouth. they will be perfect for your arch if we can figure out how to get some out of my tank and into yours. if you wanna come buy and bring along some gloves, you can have a frag of everything you want if you leave the gloves with me :p i just wanna see that arch completed (so you can start working on mine).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woah. I had no idea they were even toxic. :) I always have cuts on my hands and I never even worried about it till now. Maybe in my earlier post I should change it to... "I want lethally toxic corals!" I've never even had a slight reaction and I've messed with a lot of zoos with cuts all over, maybe I just am lucky and they're the non-toxic variety or maybe I'm superhuman. :)

Anyhow, I still want zoos. :) I'm actually in Portland for the weekend (leaving monday morning-ish). I was thinking about heading to Waves on my way out of town, anyone know when they open off-hand?

Man, this palytoxin thing is scary.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
there are about 30 on the rock, getting them off will be the challenge. i think i read somewhere that you can just cut them off with a sharp knife and superglue them down, but i have never tried proping zoos before. when i can get over to woody's i will get some superglue and give it a shot.

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Ryan

Most guys just use a screw driver and a hammer to chip under the zoos, so you get a zoo still attached and just glue the small piece of rock to another rock.
Don't forget to wear gloves and the super glue - get the gel from Wal-mart less $$ only $99cents but a better price is the 3oz size of CA+ the same stuff RC modlers use to put together airplanes - about $4.95 for a 3oz size if I remember and it will last a loooooooooooooooog time :)

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
wannareef, where are you finding the CA+ glue for 4.95 for 3oz? Is it the thick glue or thing kind?

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Checkout the hoddy shop - for Radio Control Airplanes.
Several co's selling superglue usually several different "viscousties" (thickness) CA+, CA . The "+" is the thick stuff, usually in 2-3oz size and you can get the refill in 5-6oz for about 9-10 bucks.
These are old prices for me - haven't been in the hoby for several years - but I'm sure the stuff hasn't gone up that much. They also sell an activator to make it set "like now" but it's not needed for what we are doing and it just adds more chemicals the tank doesn't need.

hth

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
Oh I have checked out the hobby store. I used to use them on my RC cars and boats before I learned they can be used on corals. I'll have to check again. Thanks.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
i just got a bottle that is 1 ounce from bridgeport hobbies on sandy around 32nd or so for 5.99. it is their thickest stuff, it came in a yellow bottle. it is called slowzap.

HTH

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
Does Tower HObbies still require a membership? I thought that was the most stupid thing they did. But I bought it to get the better price.

Krux, is the supergel thicker than Woody's glue.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
i havent tried woody's, but i have been modeling with ca for a long time, and this stuff was the SLOWEST stuff i have ever seen. almost too slow in my case because i just had to make one more frag before heading to the bathroom, and what do you know that last frag took like a minute to set up :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So anyhow... :) Do we have a date yet for the meeting?

Anyone other than Ryan have any new zoos to trade? I'm gonna go take pics of the zoos I have so ya'll can see if you have somethign I don't. :)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I just put up a new thread about the meeting date. :)

Alice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts