The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon fine folks!

Been a while since I've been on here or in the hobby. Had to tear down my take for a move and life took over hardcore with more work responsibilities and more kids at home, so I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years but I want to jump back in and get my feet wet again.

So to rewind in time a bit, I started a 75 gallon reef up with dry Key Largo rock from Marco Rocks. Had that take up for 8 or 9 months and never really got to do much with it due to yellowish green cloudiness and slime that continually bloomed in the tank no matter how many water changes and how much skimming I did. Here's the last thread I had going for that: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/in-need-of-help-with-eternal-bacteria-bloom-187619.html

After I took down the tank, I sprayed these rocks down with a hose real good and scrubbed them all clean, let them dry, and boxed them up. Now, about 5 years later, I broke them out, gave them a quick rinse, and put them into a tub with clean saltwater, a couple strong powerheads, and a pound of live rock. I was curious to see what would happen since I scrubbed these rocks off and haven't touched them for the last 5 years. I'm about 3 days in now and the yellowish green water and slime has already started up again. I'm guessing maybe a combination of bacterial or algae spores that survived dried on or in the rock surface for the last 5 years? Not entirely sure. The rocks get no light in here though. They sit 99% of the time in total darkness.

Any ideas? I've got lots of time so I'm thinking I may wait this out a couple months and do a few water changes. Or maybe a bleach bath would help the rocks? What would you guys do in my situation?

Here's what it looks like right now:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would be curious to see how the water tests out, but from your past experience with the rock, I would say it is absolutely leeching something from the rocks. There are a few methods you can use to strip the rock down, but some are dangerous and some take a long time.

If I were in your shoes (just personal preferences) I would ditch the rock and start with something new. But a 20/80 ratio of vinegar and rodi with a powerhead for a few weeks can do wonders. If you're more adventurous you can choose to go the muriatic acid bath for about 30 minutes. However, take your cautions and make sure you prepare that route really well - from personal protections to disposal.

But all in all, since nothing is a guarantee - I would start fresh.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
You could cook the rock -http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f164/how-to-cook-your-rock-66551.html

Or maybe even give it a muratic acid bath?

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking I may do the rock cooking process for a few months. I have time, space in the garage, and just need to get a few buckets and another tub of the same size to accomplish that. Thanks for the link too, that was a good refresher.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I would give em a bleach or acid bath (acid bath to clean up the surface of the rocks) which will kill all the things that survived to help keep your previous problem away and start with different strands of bacteria. Then cook the rocks so you start with less nutrients then you did before which will go a long way in preventing algae and bacterial blooms on startup. If you plan on having a sandbed you can throw the sand in saltwater and vacuum it every couple weeks to help lower nutrients in the sand as well.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,732 Posts
Oooooops, SORRY Richard.......got lost on the 'rock' title, and neglected to welcome you back to the fun! 5 years is a long time to be away......I hope all the fun and excitement come rushing back for you. Wishing you all the best,
Hack

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, was definitely a LONG time to be away from the hobby. Missed it. I've kept all my hardware and my 75 gallon tank and stand in storage this whole time. Will probably get some new equipment as I'm seeing a lot of tech has upgraded in the hobby since I've been out and there are a lot of better options and prices available than there were 5 years ago.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been 1 month today since I started the rock cooking process. Going pretty great so far. A week ago I made a fresh batch of saltwater in a new bin and filled 3 buckets of saltwater for swishing in and went through the whole process of cleaning each of the rocks off and moving them to the new container with all new saltwater. I don't have a pic at the moment but today, a week later, that water is still pretty near crystal clear. All levels aren't terribly bad. Starting to see a few pods swimming around here and there on the rocks now too which is cool. Going to leave these in here for another month in darkness before I change the water all out again to see if anymore phosphate leaches from these rocks. So far so good though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts