The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this in chat a few nights ago (yes, we actually did talk about our tanks...heheheh), but I want to ask the rest of you too.

I've had my wrasse for about 18 months I guess. Though he makes a mess of the sand, he's no match for the tomato clown :rolleyes:

But just this week he's started attacking the surface of the water. Not feeding time or anything. Any ideas out there?

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Hey Cath....what kind of wrasse is it?

The fairies are jumpers. Sometimes one of mine will swim along the top of the tank....to the point of sticking his nose out of the water....I'm wondering if maybe he's seeing his reflection? Or being pigs, maybe sniffing for food? I've never had one jump (knock on wood), but know people who have.

Jodi

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey Cath:
I had a Wrasse about a year and he suddenly jumped ship. Since then I covered my tank with eggcrate and now have a new wrasse. The eggcrate is found in the lighting section at Home Depot or Lows. I cut out the center section on ever other square to let the most light in. It took a while and needed a good pair of wire cutters to make it quicker. so now it looks like a checker board. The holes are about 2"X2" so most of the light gets through and this still protects the fish.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My little red "who knows what it is" wrass jumped once but I was there to catch her on the floor and put her back in, I though for sure she wouldn't make it, but she was there the next morning slapping fin with the other fish to get food (the little oinker) I also have a sixline wrass, but he's never jumped, I don't think it has ever occured to him to do such a strenuous activity... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a magenta 6 line wrasse. I surprised him one night by popping the lights on, scared the bejezus out of him. He jumped bounced off the MH lense but landed safely in the tank. He looked like he had a couple of shiners for a few days. He hasn't jumped again since.

·
Super Moderator
27,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek: such stories! Thanks, everbody :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts